Song Memories Growing Up In Sheffield!

old tup

Left Hackenthorpe early one Saturday morning on a 650 Beeza with my friend in the chair, both seventeen, never been anywhere by ourselves, with Skeggy in our sights and nowhere to stay. Unbelievable sense of freedom, the sun beating down on us in the legendary summer of '67. With the North Sea on the horizon we pulled into a roadside café, immediately fell in love with the dark haired waitress who served us tea and bacon & eggs we couldn't afford. A song playing on the radio, I'd never heard before, it was the perfect song for that place and time and even now 'All You need is Love' transports me back to that innocent, drugless, magical scene I never want to forget.

Ruby Murray singling "Softly, Softly". .Bloomin' heck - am I as old as that?.:(

And then there was Billie Holliday:cool::cool::cool:

---------- Post added 25-07-2013 at 19:15 ----------

Now grandma was one of the tightest I ever knew wouldnt give you an apple that had fallen in her orchard But she aways had quite a stack of 78s most well into the 30s and 40s, when i would go up on went the old gramaphone, Andrew Sisters, Caruso and others you got to be in your 90s to remember

Ruby Murray singling "Softly, Softly". .Bloomin' heck - am I as old as that?.:(

My uncle was in the RAF doing his National Service when he brought this record home when he was on leave, must have been around 1955, he played it endlessly.

I always feel acutely embarrassed when I think of Frankie Lanes song Jezebel.

On a works coach trip with my Mom and Dad around 1950 I decided to give everyone my own solo rendition of this song, I remember it ending in a sort of stunned silence which gradually returned to normal conversation...

Even now thinking about it I wont to curl up into a ball and hide ....

I was working in East Fife, and got up in a pub to do All the Way. Same thing happened. Last time for that. OOOOh, it still hurts.

forgot who sang it now but its my life i often think now if i hadnt listened to my dad i would ave made the biggest mistake of my life as we get older we realise lol then we tell our own children and guess what:)

I have Shirley Bassey singing this. Both a slower version and a disco version. Could it be her?

Don't smsoke in Bed .....Peggy Lee, my then boyfriend intorduced me to this song , sang it actually, and I thought he was making it up and stalked off in a huff. Had second thoughts tho and after 57 yrs married I still love the song and the memories and the old man of course.

Archived