Who owns your car?

This is one good reason to always pay for such significant purchases by card, or bank transfer, so there is a paper trail if ever required

When we 'bought' our last car, it was on the Vauxhall 'try and buy' scheme. After six months ownership was to transfer to us if we didn't surrender the car... only we got to 12 months, the day the tax was expiring, and I realised we hadn't had notice for the tax

I rang the police to ask if we were the owners (as it was Sunday and couldn't ring the dvla). As we were in the awkward position of possibly having our car confiscated and crushed, a kind officer confirmed we were not the owners. I was spitting teeth with the dealership. They had to give us a loan car, and sort out the tax disk before transferring ownership to us

So how can someone get done for car theft by police without owner proving it was their car??

If you have the log book, and you tax and insure it etc its pretty obvious who owns it. If its insured by the person who they say stole it (the person they sold it to?) then maybe not so clear cut. When sold to them, seller should have sent the log book off and the new owner should have a slip from it. If a car seller tries to say the other person has stolen their car, and they still have the logbook, the new owner should have a receipt and a slip from the logbook, and of course insurance if they drove it away, should cover it.

In this case, the logbook alone is not proof of legal ownership.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Just had logbook back from dvla, and it states that the log book is NOT proof of ownership, well if thats the case then who owns your car now because there is no other proof of ownership on a car other than the logbook before they chnged it

Think it is worded like that in case there is finance still owed on it that you aren't aware of! In cases like this someone could make a legal claim against it......always best to do a HPI check when buying vehicles so you are aware of the position.

This is one good reason to always pay for such significant purchases by card, or bank transfer, so there is a paper trail if ever required

When we 'bought' our last car, it was on the Vauxhall 'try and buy' scheme. After six months ownership was to transfer to us if we didn't surrender the car... only we got to 12 months, the day the tax was expiring, and I realised we hadn't had notice for the tax

I rang the police to ask if we were the owners (as it was Sunday and couldn't ring the dvla). As we were in the awkward position of possibly having our car confiscated and crushed, a kind officer confirmed we were not the owners. I was spitting teeth with the dealership. They had to give us a loan car, and sort out the tax disk before transferring ownership to us

I hope you had words with yourself too. You should have chased up the documents etc well before the 12 months

Archived