The big tree woodseats

Yes I remember it in the 1960's couldnt remember the name of the booking shop though, it was one of the first licenced bookies in sheffield . I also remember the row of shops between th bookies and gleesons building one of the shops was a fruit shop , it was on te site of what is now the car park near gleesons.

Yes it was very good pub at one time packed to the rafters every night, I used to go in there in the 70s,are not all pubs rubbish now compared to how they used to be I lived at that end of town as a kid,I had a job on the frazer estate the other day,I had a drive round the area and heely bottom,most of the pubs have gone that I can remember,there is not a decent pub at this end of town ether left they have all gone closed down and boarded up.

the fruit shop was owned by jean naylor who had two shops the other was at the top of the dale. there was a pork shop at the side of the fruit shop called swindons and we used to get bag and chitlin and go into big tree and eat it. terry the manager at the time used to go barmy. any one remember terry and june coe who took over from eric bennett who went on to manage the aquarius club in chesterfield.

Archived