Owls & Blades Legends

BEDROCK

Well when we get promotion we will find out :)

---------- Post added 18-03-2013 at 21:05 ----------

Did you even sack big Ron ?

Thought he bailed out on you the first time and saw out his contract the second time .

He left us to manage Villa who (I think) he's supported all his life.

In his 2nd spell, he returned to us when we were in a bit of a hole, he dug us out of the hole and got us playing good incisive football again.

The end of the season came, we were saved and then Na na na na na Dave Richards sacked Ron by telephone whilst Ron was soaking up the sun on his holidays during the close season.

Ron was looking forward to coming back, and winning summat with us again.

If Ron had returned, I reckon he would have taken us on to bigger and better things. He was a top Premiership manager, he did it in the lower leagues as well, (Oxford etc) and led us to beat the Mighty Man U at Wembley whilst still a Division 1 (second tier) club.

A top man manager and a top bloke. Shame his gob ran away with him once.

He'll be forever tarnished by his racist remark. He probably employed more black players back in the day than any other manager, but Hey Ho! ...... mud sticks.

Potlegs .............. Yeah, on paper maybe Francis and Wilkinson were more 'successful' than Ron, but Wilkinson's idea of 'football' were not mine, and I still maintain that any 'success' Francis had, was mainly with the majority of Big Ron's players, and Big Ron's ideas. Unlike Ron, Trevor had poor man management skills, and it showed in the end.

I still maintain that DJ won promotion with the vast majority of Megson's players, and some of Megson's ideas and team spirit. Credit him with keeping things going at S6, but I'm not too keen on DJ's performance this season to be fair.

Atko did see out his contract and fully expected another one. Therefore, he was sacked.

Back on topic .... I suppose in Sheffield the owls and Blades have thier own legends but to other people around the country they arent really that well known or i might be wrong.

Only player you hear other fans talk about for the Blades is Currie and for the owls Waddle

I think Woody was a legend for the Blades. He was somewhat in Currie's shadow but he was an all-round better player in my opinion. Don't get me wrong - Currie was an absolute genius at times - the likes of which I doubt we'll ever see again in Sheffield. But Woodward was such a consistently good player, he could strike a ball like nothing on earth and make it bend this way or that. He would race down the flanks and take players on and beat them (Are you reading this Flynny?) and he was invariably top scorer season after season.

I think Woody was a legend for the Blades. He was somewhat in Currie's shadow but he was an all-round better player in my opinion. Don't get me wrong - Currie was an absolute genius at times - the likes of which I doubt we'll ever see again in Sheffield. But Woodward was such a consistently good player, he could strike a ball like nothing on earth and make it bend this way or that. He would race down the flanks and take players on and beat them (Are you reading this Flynny?) and he was invariably top scorer season after season.

If I started to talk about Woody, I'd run out of superlatives he was phenomenal.

Can really pick any from the 1970-71 team and call them legends Tup, they were all heroes to me...

Dont know about being a better all around player than TC but he did some magical stuff with the ball including scoring direct from corner kicks

Was at that match ...

Can really pick any from the 1970-71 team and call them legends Tup, they were all heroes to me...

Dont know about being a better all around player than TC but he did some magical stuff with the ball including scoring direct from corner kicks

Was at that match ...

Not even looked at the video CB, I'll bet it was Leicester and the 1st time ever recorded on TV.

Not even looked at the video CB, I'll bet it was Leicester and the 1st time ever recorded on TV.

You would be right mate ...some great videos from the 70's on you tube if you take the time to search...type in matches of the 70's and there are some right classics on there

Here ya go mate ...cant remember how many parts there are but when you have time its a great watch

You would be right mate ...some great videos from the 70's on you tube if you take the time to search...type in matches of the 70's and there are some right classics on there

Oh yes, but I've also got my memories of the games also, great ones at that.:hihi:

Back on topic .... I suppose in Sheffield the owls and Blades have thier own legends but to other people around the country they arent really that well known or i might be wrong.

Only player you hear other fans talk about for the Blades is Currie and for the owls Waddle

I'm on topic?

In my eyes, Atkinson is a legend at Hillsborough.

Beating Manure at Wembley makes that automatic surely?

Archived