Motability - annual turnover is around £990 million

Perhaps I am negative because I see a chap out drinking at the pubs n clubs, and he has told us about this nice new Nissan Qashqai that he is getting. Another one of my acquaintance is getting the same car too.

I work and I have never had a car anywhere near as expensive as that. Both friends have no adaptations to the cars.

I guess whilst everyone else was going up from a Fiesta in the 1980s to a Qashqa in the naughties, I got left behind.

---------- Post added 17-03-2013 at 18:33 ----------

It seems that many are complaining about losing their spare bedroom, whilst they have an almost new car parked outside.

That I cannot comment on, I qualify for a car but unfortunately I cannot drive

You still get the money tho.

Yes I do, but I'm unable to do 98% of things that people take for granted at home, I've partially retired and still struggling on working 3 days. Would I have my health back and give the money back, in the blink of an eye. I have been recommend that I retire on health grounds but sadly cannot afford it, so I'm stuck in a catch 22 situation.

Does my health restrict me & get me down, too true it does, will I give in to it? not a bloody chance.

Perhaps I am negative because I see a chap out drinking at the pubs n clubs, and he has told us about this nice new Nissan Qashqai that he is getting. Another one of my acquaintance is getting the same car too.

I work and I have never had a car anywhere near as expensive as that. Both friends have no adaptations to the cars.

I guess whilst everyone else was going up from a Fiesta in the 1980s to a Qashqa in the naughties, I got left behind.

---------- Post added 17-03-2013 at 18:33 ----------

It seems that many are complaining about losing their spare bedroom, whilst they have an almost new car parked outside.

Why would you have to have adaptations,not all disabled people have limbs missing.

Why would you have to have adaptations,not all disabled people have limbs missing.

Thanks Gazza, its about time that the misconception that the disabled are all in a wheelchair, with limbs missing that annoys me like hell.

---------- Post added 17-03-2013 at 19:04 ----------

Or they are aware of the facts, understand that Motability is a charity and that turnover does not equal profit, and feel that the purpose of the charity is to help vulnerable people with mobility difficulties to lease a vehicle at an affordable rate and thus be able to regain some function in society?

Or if cannot drive Medusa, financial help to help in other ways :)

Idont know what level of dis-ability my friends have, but I can understand extra money would be needed for wheelchair adapted cars.

If you dont qualify for the top rate of motobility, then you can pay £200 for a better car. But my friend is upgrading from a BMW to a Qashqai.

Perhaps you're the only one fortunate enough to be non disabled

That may or may not be true!

But when I am in town I see some of those who can not put one foot in front of the other when visiting the Doctor some how looking very sprightly as they leave the car on the nearest spot possible to the shopping area.

Often the parking involved makes it very difficult for other road users and pedestrians.

Apart from that there is one free car tax owner near us who's vehicle is supposed to be for her disabled husband he never sets foot in the car.

She still parks in disabled bays at the super market however.

Idont know what level of dis-ability my friends have, but I can understand extra money would be needed for wheelchair adapted cars.

If you dont qualify for the top rate of motobility, then you can pay £200 for a better car. But my friend is upgrading from a BMW to a Qashqai.

I wouldnt have thought moving from a BMW to a NISSAN was an upgrade.

That may or may not be true!

But when I am in town I see some of those who can not put one foot in front of the other when visiting the Doctor some how looking very sprightly as they leave the car on the nearest spot possible to the shopping area.

Often the parking involved makes it very difficult for other road users and pedestrians.

Apart from that there is one free car tax owner near us who's vehicle is supposed to be for her disabled husband he never sets foot in the car.

She still parks in disabled bays at the super market however.

Now nobody is saying that people don't play the system, but there are more genuine people getting it than none genuine. Trust me as I say people would rather be healthy, than have this "perk" as people obviously see it wrongly I will add.

I have a mobility scooter that I paid for out of my own pocket, no help from anyone apart from my now late mum, trust me people don't understand how expensive it can be to be disabled & soul destroying.

Now nobody is saying that people don't play the system, but there are more genuine people getting it than none genuine. Trust me as I say people would rather be healthy, than have this "perk" as people obviously see it wrongly I will add.

I think that discussing things like this on forums helps people to be better informed. I dont know how many people fake the system, but those that do make it worse for others. And staying quiet, not grassing, makes everything worse.

Archived