Motability - annual turnover is around £990 million

My circle of friends and relatives must be really poor, because hardly anyone can afford a new car. If you qualify for the full motobility, you can have a new car every 3-5 years, tax and insurance paid.

Sorry mate but you are missing the point here I feel, you just don't seem to grasp the concept of motability or disability. I get money yes, but I've dropped my working week, cut my standard of living, I can't walk 20 metres without having to stop.

Last night I did an online quote for travel insurance just out of curiosity (I like to dream), it would cost me £1,000.00 a week in insurance to go just to Turkey, and 6 days in New York £2,000.00 in insurance that's without the holiday cost.

Have a read up on high rate mobility means you can't do, and get a bit more informed don't base your judgement on "friends". Oh BTW that's from the companies that will touch me, most won't with a bargepole.

Oh yes my life's a bed of roses, I think not.

My circle of friends and relatives must be really poor, because hardly anyone can afford a new car. If you qualify for the full motobility, you can have a new car every 3-5 years, tax and insurance paid.

Indeed, but as said... The mobility car user never owns the car... It is merely 'borrowed' in exchange for the DLA payment.

I have done a quick search and found that a personal user can rent a brand new Ford Focus 1.6 Edge for £63pw all in (Road tax, insurance etc)

A low mileage 12 reg Focus ZETEC S TDCI can be yours for £54pw (average) to buy but you still have to tax, insure and 'run' the car yourself.

So who's decision is it.

When you fill in the application form, or someone for you it goes off & a Decision Maker at DWP, looks at all the info on it. They should contact doctors & such but the final decision lies with the DM's sadly.

That is why it's imperative that every bit of info you have goes on the form.

Sorry mate but you are missing the point here I feel, you just don't seem to grasp the concept of motability or disability. I get money yes, but I've dropped my working week, cut my standard of living, I can't walk 20 metres without having to stop.

Last night I did an online quote for travel insurance just out of curiosity (I like to dream), it would cost me £1,000.00 a week in insurance to go just to Turkey, and 6 days in New York £2,000.00 in insurance that's without the holiday cost.

I am struggleing to afford to go abroad too, I dont have a car. I have just sent away for my passport, but I havnt been abroad for over 10 years. I see a more expensive car than I can afford, and with all this bedroom tax thing; wouldnt it be better todowngrade the vehicle to something cheaper?

I am struggleing to afford to go abroad too, I dont have a car. I have just sent away for my passport, but I havnt been abroad for over 10 years. I see a more expensive car than I can afford, and with all this bedroom tax thing; wouldnt it be better todowngrade the vehicle to something cheaper?

I'm not saying your not potless, I'm saying you're missing the point that people are ill and it runs their lives.

Thats fair comment,and im sure some will most likely have to do that.

If it is a charity then it would be prudent to allow the help for basic cars,preferably second-hand.that way more help could be given and spare resources used to educate others to be more tolerant of the scheme-a lot of people seem indignant that disabled people can enjoy the better cars available.

Nowadays you can rent a TV, Washing machine, almost anything, what these disabled people are doing is RENTING a car so they can improve their lives. The car is never theirs to keep.

There are also hoops one has to jump through and restriction placed on the car Like the 12,000 mile allowance each year - Go over it and it can be very expensive – it used to be 12 pence a mile, but that was many years ago.

I guess what I’m trying to say is some of the posts on here seem based on jealousy and not on practical issues.

They pay for the privilege – let them enjoy it. I’m just happy that I’m not in need of one myself yet.

Archived