Motability - annual turnover is around £990 million

Nowadays you can rent a TV, Washing machine, almost anything, what these disabled people are doing is RENTING a car so they can improve their lives. The car is never theirs to keep.

There are also hoops one has to jump through and restriction placed on the car Like the 12,000 mile allowance each year - Go over it and it can be very expensive – it used to be 12 pence a mile, but that was many years ago.

I guess what I’m trying to say is some of the posts on here seem based on jealousy and not on practical issues.

They pay for the privilege – let them enjoy it. I’m just happy that I’m not in need of one myself yet.

Hallelujah, hallelujah thanks friend :thumbsup:

Nowadays you can rent a TV, Washing machine, almost anything, what these disabled people are doing is RENTING a car so they can improve their lives. The car is never theirs to keep.

There are also hoops one has to jump through and restriction placed on the car Like the 12,000 mile allowance each year - Go over it and it can be very expensive – it used to be 12 pence a mile, but that was many years ago.

I guess what I’m trying to say is some of the posts on here seem based on jealousy and not on practical issues.

They pay for the privilege – let them enjoy it. I’m just happy that I’m not in need of one myself yet.

Well said,however i do think the mileage allowance has risen to 16,000 miles.

If it is a charity then it would be prudent to allow the help for basic cars,preferably second-hand.that way more help could be given and spare resources used to educate others to be more tolerant of the scheme-a lot of people seem indignant that disabled people can enjoy the better cars available.

If you want the best resale value for the car then you buy them in bulk with the best discounts from the manufacturers and with the appropriate kit for the person that is leasing the car.

Most Motability cars have well under 50,000 miles on the clock when they are sold, they have a perfect service and repair record and they have a very strict set of criteria when taking the car back again after their lease period so they get the best resale values.

Who pays for "the privilege" ?

Anyone doing more than 12,000 miles per year must either working or holidaying 24/7

Who pays for "the privilege" ?[/quote

They pay for the privilege – or are you saying the government should stop all disability payments? If you’re not saying this, then surly they have a right as to how they spend their money.

It does seem a large mileage allowance, but we were close to the limit on a couple of occasions (I was a nominated second driver)on one touring holiday of Scotland we clocked up 2600 miles in ten days (if I remember correctly)

DLA – Disability Living Allowance

I posted this previously on a thread about parking bays - seems apt to some of the posts here -

As an example, the Germans have a word - schadenfreude - that neatly sums up taking pleasure in the misfortune of others. We do not have an equivalent word.

I wonder if they have a word for bitterness that accommodations and provisions have been made to make somebody else's life easier?

A civilised society caters for the needs of those disadvantaged by circumstance.

Archived