Motability - annual turnover is around £990 million

I posted this previously on a thread about parking bays - seems apt to some of the posts here -

A civilised society caters for the needs of those disadvantaged by circumstance.

A truer word has never been spoken.

It is those that abuse the system that is the problem as I am sure you already know.

What is DLA.

Disabled Living Allowance, which is the qualifying criterion for whether you can lease a Motability car.

Only those on the higher rate of the mobility component of DLA are eligible.

---------- Post added 18-03-2013 at 16:10 ----------

A truer word has never been spoken.

It is those that abuse the system that is the problem as I am sure you already know.

And much is made of those who 'abuse the system' as an excuse for hatred towards the disabled, however the official estimates are that fraud and misrepresentation accounts for only 0.5% of the total cost of disability benefits.

If that can be extrapolated on a one to one basis with the number of people receiving DLA then that means that only 1 in 200 people is in receipt of the benefit when they shouldn't be, and that means that it is incredibly hard to 'abuse the system'.

Just because I may have days when I look like I'm moving well, that doesn't account for the majority of days when the outside world doesn't see me because I'm at home in a recliner because I can neither sit up nor stand up without serious pain.

Disabled Living Allowance, which is the qualifying criterion for whether you can lease a Motability car.

And much is made of those who 'abuse the system' as an excuse for hatred towards the disabled, however the official estimates are that fraud and misrepresentation accounts for only 0.5% of the total cost of disability benefits.

If that can be extrapolated on a one to one basis with the number of people receiving DLA then that means that only 1 in 200 people is in receipt of the benefit when they shouldn't be, and that means that it is incredibly hard to 'abuse the system'.

Just because I may have days when I look like I'm moving well, that doesn't account for the majority of days when the outside world doesn't see me because I'm at home in a recliner because I can neither sit up nor stand up without serious pain.

The same goes for the unemployed – The spin doctors want us to fight amongst ourselves, it deflects from what they are really doing, which is imprisoning us in a mountain of debt, and eroding our human rights bit by bit.

Look at all the anti-posts on here about the un-employed, you’d be forgiven for thinking they were the only group to receive benefits, when in truth only £5b of the budget is spent on un-employment, with around £60b for the low waged & £82b for pensioners, but does the spin reflect the figures NO way, there would be an outcry if they called the pensioners “Shirkers” “Spongers” etc.

The same goes for the unemployed – The spin doctors want us to fight amongst ourselves, it deflects from what they are really doing, which is imprisoning us in a mountain of debt, and eroding our human rights bit by bit.

Look at all the anti-posts on here about the un-employed, you’d be forgiven for thinking they were the only group to receive benefits, when in truth only £5b of the budget is spent on un-employment, with around £60b for the low waged & £82b for pensioners, but does the spin reflect the figures NO way, there would be an outcry if they called the pensioners “Shirkers” “Spongers” etc.

Hats off to both of you - spot on, yet too seldom highlighted.

Archived