St Patricks day in Sheffield.

I really wish people took St Georges Day as serious as they do St Patricks Day.

Do you know who St George was or who he is the patron Saint of?

I am afraid we Brits can't claim him as our own we have to share him with many countries, peoples, towns, etc.

"Many Patronages of Saint George exist around the world, including: Malta, Georgia, England, Egypt, Bulgaria, Aragon, Catalonia, Romania, Ethiopia, Greece, India, Iraq, Lebanon, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, Sardinia, Serbia, Macedonia, Ukraine, Russia and Syria, as well as the cities of Genoa, Amersfoort, Beirut, Botoşani, Drobeta Turnu-Severin, Timișoara, Fakiha, Bteghrine, Cáceres, Ferrara, Freiburg im Breisgau, Kragujevac, Kumanovo, Ljubljana, Pérouges, Pomorie, Preston, Qormi, Rio de Janeiro, Lydda, Lviv, Barcelona, Moscow and Victoria, as well as of the Scout Movement and a wide range of professions, organizations, and disease sufferers including leprosy, plague, herpes and syphilis."

"So, whether you want to avoid herpes and syphilis or you sympathise with Palestinian Christians and the Romani (Gypsies), St. George is the saint for you!"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_George

https://thepocketscroll.wordpress.com/tag/what-is-st-george-patron-saint-of/

I really wish people took St Georges Day as serious as they do St Patricks Day.

As an English person I can't relate to a supposed 'Saint George' and don't want to celebrate it. It's pure fantasy and I find it offensive in a modern secular democracy. It might have been acceptable in the middle ages to speak of these things but no longer. The sooner we get shut of the monarchy and the state-sponsored religion the better.

Do you know who St George was or who he is the patron Saint of?

I am afraid we Brits can't claim him as our own we have to share him with many countries, peoples, towns, etc.

"Many Patronages of Saint George exist around the world, including: Malta, Georgia, England, Egypt, Bulgaria, Aragon, Catalonia, Romania, Ethiopia, Greece, India, Iraq, Lebanon, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, Sardinia, Serbia, Macedonia, Ukraine, Russia and Syria, as well as the cities of Genoa, Amersfoort, Beirut, Botoşani, Drobeta Turnu-Severin, Timișoara, Fakiha, Bteghrine, Cáceres, Ferrara, Freiburg im Breisgau, Kragujevac, Kumanovo, Ljubljana, Pérouges, Pomorie, Preston, Qormi, Rio de Janeiro, Lydda, Lviv, Barcelona, Moscow and Victoria, as well as of the Scout Movement and a wide range of professions, organizations, and disease sufferers including leprosy, plague, herpes and syphilis."

"So, whether you want to avoid herpes and syphilis or you sympathise with Palestinian Christians and the Romani (Gypsies), St. George is the saint for you!"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_George

https://thepocketscroll.wordpress.com/tag/what-is-st-george-patron-saint-of/

True, that's why Barcelona have a St Georges cross on their badge as he's the patron Saint of Catalonia.

Every year on St Georges day they build a huge bonfire on the top of a particular mountain in the Pyrenees and also hold parades and celebrations all over north east Spain and south east France.

We should have a bonfire on the top of Mam Tor and have a parade of canal boats from Sheffield canal basin to Meadowhall. :)

And here we go again, the annual St Patricks day celebration followed by the annual English whinge fest about why St Georges day isn't celebrated in the same way.

As LeMaquis says what's stopping you?

Here's a suggestion, on the 23rd of next month why don't you organise a party, invite all your friends, supply them all with a red rose and put up some red, white and blue bunting?

Personally, whilst I don't celebrate St Patrick's day it doesn't bother me that other people of whatever background choose to join in.

If it bothers you do something about it, no one is preventing you are they?

Exactly, same moaners every single year yet sit on their arse doing nothing. There was the St Georges day beer tent on Devonshire Green for a couple of years but I doubt it is still running? reason being is no one was interested in turning up, empty.

Folk rather have a moan at Paddys day while doing absolutely nothing to celebrate St Georges day, couldn't make it up :loopy:

elebrating a place that had become unbearable to live in with tacky parades, plastic kitsch and binge-drinking is surely not the best way to remember Irish culture, unless of course one doesn't really know what Irish culture and history are to begin with. I do admire the marketing prowess of the Guiness corporation though. Absolute genius!:hihi::hihi:

BTW/ its worse in america, it seems no one wants to be a Yank. Apparently there are an impossible number of claimed Irish descendents in the USA, many people must be making their lineage up.:huh:

And here we go again, the annual St Patricks day celebration followed by the annual English whinge fest about why St Georges day isn't celebrated in the same way.

As LeMaquis says what's stopping you?

Here's a suggestion, on the 23rd of next month why don't you organise a party, invite all your friends, supply them all with a red rose and put up some red, white and blue bunting?

Personally, whilst I don't celebrate St Patrick's day it doesn't bother me that other people of whatever background choose to join in.

If it bothers you do something about it, no one is preventing you are they?

I wonder if the usual suspects will be on here complaining that they'll get accused of racism or political incorrectness for getting the red, white and blue bunting out? :hihi:

elebrating a place that had become unbearable to live in with tacky parades, plastic kitsch and binge-drinking is surely not the best way to remember Irish culture, unless of course one doesn't really know what Irish culture and history are to begin with. I do admire the marketing prowess of the Guiness corporation though. Absolute genius!:hihi::hihi:

BTW/ its worse in america, it seems no one wants to be a Yank. Apparently there are an impossible number of claimed Irish descendents in the USA, many people must be making their lineage up.:huh:

Bang on! one million plastic Paddy's in New York ,most of em could not find Ireland on the map.

The Guiness family are providing the tents and laughing all the way to the bank.

Edited by cuttsie

Bang on! one million plastic Paddy's in New York ,most of em could not find Ireland on the map.

The Guiness family are providing the tents and laughing all the way to the bank.

You will find that Guinness is now owned by Diagio who own many different brands including

Beer: Guinness, Tusker, Smithwick's, Red Stripe, Harp Lager, Kilkenny, Kaliber (non-alcoholic), Windhoek

Scotch whisky: Johnnie Walker, Buchanan's, Cardhu, Justerini & Brooks (J&B), Bell's, Black & White, White Horse, Logan, Caol Ila, Vat 69, Oban, Talisker, Lagavulin, Glen Ord, Glenkinchie, Dalwhinnie, Cragganmore, Clynelish, Singleton, Haig, Royal Lochnagar, Glen Elgin, Knockando, The Dimple Pinch

Vodka: Smirnoff, Cîroc, Silent Sam, Popov, Ketel One

Gin: Gordon's, Tanqueray, Booth's, Nolet's Gin

Rum: Captain Morgan, Bundaberg, Pampero, Cacique, Myers's, Zacapa

Bourbon: Bulleit, Orphan Barrel[34]

American Whiskey: Seagram's Seven Crown

Canadian whisky: Crown Royal, Seagram's VO

Tennessee whiskey: George Dickel

Tequila: Don Julio, Peligroso, DeLeón

Schnapps: Black Haus, Rumple Minze

Baijiu: Shui Jing Fang

Mixed drinks: Archers, Pimm's, Jeremiah Weed, Smirnoff Cocktails

Liqueur: Baileys, Sheridans, Yukon Jack, Godiva

Wines: Sterling Vineyards, Beaulieu Vineyard, Chalone, Piat d'Or, Blossom Hill, Canoe Ridge Vineyard, Acacia, Moon Mountain, Dynamite, Provenance Vineyards, Hewitt Vineyard, Rosenblum and Navarro Correas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diageo#Products

It is not just the black stuff they push.

You will find that Guinness is now owned by Diagio who own many different brands including

Beer: Guinness, Tusker, Smithwick's, Red Stripe, Harp Lager, Kilkenny, Kaliber (non-alcoholic), Windhoek

Scotch whisky: Johnnie Walker, Buchanan's, Cardhu, Justerini & Brooks (J&B), Bell's, Black & White, White Horse, Logan, Caol Ila, Vat 69, Oban, Talisker, Lagavulin, Glen Ord, Glenkinchie, Dalwhinnie, Cragganmore, Clynelish, Singleton, Haig, Royal Lochnagar, Glen Elgin, Knockando, The Dimple Pinch

Vodka: Smirnoff, Cîroc, Silent Sam, Popov, Ketel One

Gin: Gordon's, Tanqueray, Booth's, Nolet's Gin

Rum: Captain Morgan, Bundaberg, Pampero, Cacique, Myers's, Zacapa

Bourbon: Bulleit, Orphan Barrel[34]

American Whiskey: Seagram's Seven Crown

Canadian whisky: Crown Royal, Seagram's VO

Tennessee whiskey: George Dickel

Tequila: Don Julio, Peligroso, DeLeón

Schnapps: Black Haus, Rumple Minze

Baijiu: Shui Jing Fang

Mixed drinks: Archers, Pimm's, Jeremiah Weed, Smirnoff Cocktails

Liqueur: Baileys, Sheridans, Yukon Jack, Godiva

Wines: Sterling Vineyards, Beaulieu Vineyard, Chalone, Piat d'Or, Blossom Hill, Canoe Ridge Vineyard, Acacia, Moon Mountain, Dynamite, Provenance Vineyards, Hewitt Vineyard, Rosenblum and Navarro Correas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diageo#Products

It is not just the black stuff they push.

No Wards:hihi: