St Patricks day in Sheffield.

I will answer it even though its spectacularly stupid

There would be no problem if ex-pats or people of English descent wanted to celebrate St George in Dublin. This may also come as a massive surprise to you (as most things seem to be) but the Irish people have no problem with English people, you will not find a single Irish person over there who has not got a relative in England. I think the road you were trying to go down would a loyalist march be welcome in Dublin, no it would not be but that is a totally different political debate, we are on about having a few pints for St Patrick or St George for gods sake :hihi:

As for the Falls road? why in gods name would you have a St George day celebration on the falls road? You are pin pointing actual roads where there is no English people now to try and get you out of the argument, Citys and Towns all over the UK have events on but they don't pinpoint roads, they have them in the city centre, So Belfast, that is where the St Patricks day celebration was, in the city centre and that is where the St George days celebrations will be, the city centre. But again because of the route you tried to go down I will tell you this which will also come as a big surprise, Loyalist and Orange Order bands had parades all over Northern Ireland yesterday for St Patrick, Apprentice Boys of Derry were out in force in the town centre having a parade, even the people who believe they are the most British of all British do not have a problem with St Patricks day after all he is their Patron Saint also, but armchair critics everywhere do

What next? you having a gripe that there is no St George day parade in a ISIS stronghold... Jeez :hihi:

Who would hold a parade in a Morris with bench seats.

Sorry if I have touched a nerve but I have mates who are hundreds of years removed from Ireland but!!!! on St Patricks day they start wearing green bonnets, drinking Giuness and dancing daft dances in mini skirts and clogs.

The rest of the year they are the dull and boring cricket and tea drinkers.

Who would hold a parade in a Morris with bench seats.

Sorry if I have touched a nerve but I have mates who are hundreds of years removed from Ireland but!!!! on St Patricks day they start wearing green bonnets, drinking Giuness and dancing daft dances in mini skirts and clogs.

The rest of the year they are the dull and boring cricket and tea drinkers.

No you have not touched a nerve, merely answering like you asked me too

I also have friends like that, friends who were out last night and have no connection to Ireland whatsoever, although they don't wear the attire you have just made up in your head, but they were out having a few pints.

I don't see the problem, I also don't see how it burns through people like yourself. They are doing no harm to anyone and certainly not to you so I don't see the problem. Well tell a lie I do see the problem, the problem is you and all the armchair critics are jealous, not jealous of Irish people as such but jealous that St Georges day is not celebrated like this. As has been said, do something about it, start by organising a event in your local, build it up and see where it goes, I will come and show support, hopefully you get a tent in town and this time it won't die a death like the last St Georges day tent in town.

Good luck and keep us informed throughout the year on how it is going.

I find it quite strange that the the British patron saint was born in Lydda, Syria Palaestina and the Irish saint was said to be born born in Britain.

Actually I don't think he was, I think Patrick was born in France.

Years ago we were on holiday with friends in the South of France near Cannes and we visited the Lerins Islands about a mile offshore.

There are two of them, one St Margarite where you get to see the cell where 'The man in the iron mask' was imprisoned, the other is St Honorat where there is a monastery with a plaque on the wall commemorating the fact that St Patrick studied there before returning to Ireland to convert the Irish, which is when all the trouble started! :)

Why would he travel all that way rather than simply stay in Britain?

Also wouldn't he have had to learn another language? If he was French, maybe from Brittany, it would make more sense.

Also Patrick is a common name in France but not in Wales.

Seems more logical to me but I don't think anyone actually knows for sure.

Actually I don't think he was, I think Patrick was born in France.

Years ago we were on holiday with friends in the South of France near Cannes and we visited the Lerins Islands about a mile offshore.

There are two of them, one St Margarite where you get to see the cell where 'The man in the iron mask' was imprisoned, the other is St Honorat where there is a monastery with a plaque on the wall commemorating the fact that St Patrick studied there before returning to Ireland to convert the Irish, which is when all the trouble started! :)

Why would he travel all that way rather than simply stay in Britain?

Also wouldn't he have had to learn another language? If he was French, maybe from Brittany, it would make more sense.

Also Patrick is a common name in France but not in Wales.

Seems more logical to me but I don't think anyone actually knows for sure.

Trust to French to claim him, if you trust the internet you will find out that;

"St. Patrick was born in Roman Britain. Calpurnius, his father, was a deacon, his grandfather Potitus a priest, from Banna Venta Berniae, a location otherwise unknown, though identified in one tradition as Glannoventa, modern Ravenglass in Cumbria, England; claims have been advanced for locations in both Scotland and Wales. Patrick, however, was not an active believer. According to the Confession of St. Patrick, at the age of just sixteen Patrick was captured by a group of Irish pirates. The raiders brought Patrick to Ireland where he was enslaved and held captive for six years. Patrick writes in The Confession that the time he spent in captivity was critical to his spiritual development. He explains that the Lord had mercy on his youth and ignorance, and afforded him the opportunity to be forgiven of his sins and converted to Christianity. While in captivity, Saint Patrick worked as a shepherd and strengthened his relationship with God through prayer eventually leading him to convert to Christianity."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Patrick

Trust to French to claim him, if you trust the internet you will find out that;

"St. Patrick was born in Roman Britain. Calpurnius, his father, was a deacon, his grandfather Potitus a priest, from Banna Venta Berniae, a location otherwise unknown, though identified in one tradition as Glannoventa, modern Ravenglass in Cumbria, England; claims have been advanced for locations in both Scotland and Wales. Patrick, however, was not an active believer. According to the Confession of St. Patrick, at the age of just sixteen Patrick was captured by a group of Irish pirates. The raiders brought Patrick to Ireland where he was enslaved and held captive for six years. Patrick writes in The Confession that the time he spent in captivity was critical to his spiritual development. He explains that the Lord had mercy on his youth and ignorance, and afforded him the opportunity to be forgiven of his sins and converted to Christianity. While in captivity, Saint Patrick worked as a shepherd and strengthened his relationship with God through prayer eventually leading him to convert to Christianity."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Patrick

Basically, no one really knows and probably will never know.

Having said which, he is supposed to be buried at Downpatrick :rolleyes: I know, who came up with that one?

Nearly as bad as Bury-St-Edmunds!

For the sake of scientific knowledge, or sheer nosiness, why not dig him up and do a DNA test?

No you have not touched a nerve, merely answering like you asked me too

I also have friends like that, friends who were out last night and have no connection to Ireland whatsoever, although they don't wear the attire you have just made up in your head, but they were out having a few pints.

I don't see the problem, I also don't see how it burns through people like yourself. They are doing no harm to anyone and certainly not to you so I don't see the problem. Well tell a lie I do see the problem, the problem is you and all the armchair critics are jealous, not jealous of Irish people as such but jealous that St Georges day is not celebrated like this. As has been said, do something about it, start by organising a event in your local, build it up and see where it goes, I will come and show support, hopefully you get a tent in town and this time it won't die a death like the last St Georges day tent in town.

Good luck and keep us informed throughout the year on how it is going.

Don't think it will go far at all!....truth is lots of Brits feel marginalized through the religion of multiculturalism brought on by the left who know where a kindred vote will be forthcoming from all the huge amount of new people arriving on these shores over the past decade.Not all bad by any means.It's a boring well trodden discussion,but suffice to say,St Georges day etc are pants now just like a lot who are turning their back on the traditions of this country! Edited by mossdog

This country could do with a celebration of the country that everyone could accept and join in with without feeling uncomfortable with any aspect.

The only time the country attempts to do a nationwide celebration it tends to involve something to do with the royal family.

There are a lot of English people who do not agree with the monarchy and they are therefore excluded.

I thought St George's day would be fairly acceptable, but as someone pointed out earlier some people are uncomfortable with the religious connection.

Probably still celebrate Christmas though! :)

So how about Shakespeare day?

Full weight genius, known throughout the entire world, invented words and phrases still in common usage, a creative artist, who could find fault with that? ( give it a couple of minutes and you'll see :( ).

By coincidence he died on 23rd of April, St Georges day.

Scrap Georgy the Turk, bring in Bill the Englishman, make it a public holiday and halve the price of beer and mead for the day, I'm in!

What do you think?

This country could do with a celebration of the country that everyone could accept and join in with without feeling uncomfortable with any aspect.

The only time the country attempts to do a nationwide celebration it tends to involve something to do with the royal family.

There are a lot of English people who do not agree with the monarchy and they are therefore excluded.

I thought St George's day would be fairly acceptable, but as someone pointed out earlier some people are uncomfortable with the religious connection.

Probably still celebrate Christmas though! :)

So how about Shakespeare day?

Full weight genius, known throughout the entire world, invented words and phrases still in common usage, a creative artist, who could find fault with that? ( give it a couple of minutes and you'll see :( ).

By coincidence he died on 23rd of April, St Georges day.

Scrap Georgy the Turk, bring in Bill the Englishman, make it a public holiday and halve the price of beer and mead for the day, I'm in!

What do you think?

Good post!............we might disagree on one or two things, but tonight go home with a little gold gumpaper star on your forehead.

Good post!............we might disagree on one or two things, but tonight go home with a little gold gumpaper star on your forehead.

Thank you dear boy, it's much appreciated, I'll have a whiskey later to celebrate!

Always remember, if we all agreed about everything it would be a dull boring old world.