Job interview at B&Q any help ?

Hi there, I am 16 and this is my first job interview, it is for the B&Q at parkgate and is the position of customer advisor, does anyone here work at B&Q ? What is it like ? Also what is the interview process like ? I have a group interview tommorow and need some help !

Thanks for any advice

Sam Cooke

Never worked at B & Q, but had plenty of job interviews. My advice is do a little homework about the company before the interview(products, range etc) In the actual interview, be punctual, friendly, try and give your answers a bit of depth but not over long. Overall just be yourself and most important......SMILE! :)

I worked there as a supervisor and also did a spell in H.R.

Don't suppose it's changed much, but you may be asked things like "what does good customer service look like" , "how you can increase sales" you may even be asked to walk round the store noting your impression, we even used to get candidates to interview customers.

Like any interview, look enthusiastic, happy, eager, lots of eye contact, talk about helping customers by taking them around the store instead of just pointing, increasing sales by adding on products (ie customer wants paint, sell them brushes, rollers, masking tape, white spirit, cloths etc). Product info is important and if you don't know look on the tin or packet.

Enjoy yourself and be polite and amenable and you'll be fine, and good luck.

Never worked at B & Q, but had plenty of job interviews. My advice is do a little homework about the company before the interview(products, range etc) In the actual interview, be punctual, friendly, try and give your answers a bit of depth but not over long. Overall just be yourself and most important......SMILE! :)

... this is all good advice! :)

And remember - Everyone else there will be as nervous as you so try your best to relax (I know that's not always easy).

I hope you come back on here to tell us some good news!

Thanks for the great advice, I will return tommorow to post the results !

also they said the dress informally ? I am thinking of wearing some nice black jeans ( look smart ) and a nice top ? Or should I just wear my suit even though it is informal ?

If they said 'informal' then I would do as they ask and wear your jeans providing they are smart.

If you are asked back for another interview they may ask you to dress a bit more formally, in which case you can wear your suit. :)

Archived