Hackenthorpe village

howards bike shop was opposite the old sportsman pub before it was demolished and the new one built behind it , when you went upstairs in the bike shop there was a full size snooker table .

at the side of howards cycles was a gennel then the local shop and a row of cottages ,at the end of the village upto the late 50s was the working blacksmiths and lower down the pub now a vets and outside the village school was the only phone box for a good few years until the shops were built on the old farm near cotliegh house .:roll:

lower down hackenthorpe of rainbow road a path led over to woodhouse via the pit , before you got to the stream you past the gregs house with lakes at the back which were filled in dureing a fire in the early 60s:P

the doctors used to be up near the church on the oposite side , before Dr .pagden moved it to his house opposite the post office .

Howard kept my old bike going when it really should have been dumped, but in those days we appreciated what he could do. Went to school with one of the Greg's I think it was Frank, most of the other lads were feared by all locals.

• 1 year later...
howards bike shop was opposite the old sportsman pub before it was demolished and the new one built behind it , when you went upstairs in the bike shop there was a full size snooker table .

at the side of howards cycles was a gennel then the local shop and a row of cottages ,at the end of the village upto the late 50s was the working blacksmiths and lower down the pub now a vets and outside the village school was the only phone box for a good few years until the shops were built on the old farm near cotliegh house .:roll:

lower down hackenthorpe of rainbow road a path led over to woodhouse via the pit , before you got to the stream you past the gregs house with lakes at the back which were filled in dureing a fire in the early 60s:P

the doctors used to be up near the church on the oposite side , before Dr .pagden moved it to his house opposite the post office .

The blacksmiths was between the Post Office and the Vets (originally the New Inn run by the Helliwells) on Beighton Road. Many a time have I looked over the gate and watched the blacksmith shoeing the horses.

---------- Post added 23-01-2015 at 11:24 ----------

Howard kept my old bike going when it really should have been dumped, but in those days we appreciated what he could do. Went to school with one of the Greg's I think it was Frank, most of the other lads were feared by all locals.

I remember Billy Gregg but I wish I could forget him!!!!

-------------------------------

I remember Billy roaming round with a big old gun, I had a shot with it once, it had a hell of a kick. I never had a problem with Billy and Frank was a friend when we drank in the Hoggs Head, he was a really nice bloke.

-------------------------------

I remember Billy roaming round with a big old gun, I had a shot with it once, it had a hell of a kick. I never had a problem with Billy and Frank was a friend when we drank in the Hoggs Head, he was a really nice bloke.

yub / if billy gregg says it was raining it was raining even if it was fine / and if benny gregg says it was snowing it was snowing. Mick greg was okay used to be a good angler and go in pub in woodhouse./ :hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 23-01-2015 at 12:37 ----------

The blacksmiths was between the Post Office and the Vets (originally the New Inn run by the Helliwells) on Beighton Road. Many a time have I looked over the gate and watched the blacksmith shoeing the horses.

---------- Post added 23-01-2015 at 11:24 ----------

:hihi::hihi::hihi: you can come out from behind the hedge now he died a few

years back. :hihi::hihi:

Edited by spider1

Sorry to hear that, do you know if Frank is still around?

The Greggs ./ Frank / ben / Mick ./ Billy in decending order as i remember / As frank would be about 85 _90 by now i believe passed away a few years ago . Think they ran an ice cream van at one time / Worked with Ben a few times and he used to love going out frid ./ sat nights looking for a fight / Billy was just the same. Nice enough if you new them. Mick was more in to fishing than fighting / fished for royal at Woodhouse ./Billy died young think in his 30 /ish . Guess mick would be around 80 now but not heard or seen any of them for 20 years.

Edited by spider1

The Geggs ./ Frank / ben / Mick ./ Billy in decending order as i remember / As frank would be about 85 _90 by now i believe passed away a few years ago . Think they ran an ice cream van at one time / Worked with Ben a few times and he used to love going out frid ./ sat nights looking for a fight / Billy was just the same. Nice enough if you new them. Mick was more in to fishing than fighting / fished for royal at Woodhouse ./Billy died young think in his 30 /ish . Guess mick would be around 80 now but not heard or seen any of them for 20 years.

Sorry to hear that Frank is dead I never realized that he was that much older than me, as I said before he was a nice bloke but like the rest of them nobody crossed Frank and if there was any trouble you wanted him on your side, they took one look at Big Frank and walked away. In the time I knew him I can't actually remember anyone taking him on though he did not look for trouble.

Do you remember Billy Standitch, he was Frank's mate when I knew them?