Contractors in the seventys

Hi there!

I wondered if any of you ex- steel workers would be interested in talking to me about your jobs and how you feel about the Steel City now?

I am a university student doing a project about narrating community stories. Here is a brief blurb:

This project is called 'Deep-mapping the Seven Hills', and is part of the bigger Storying Sheffield initiative at the University of Sheffield . The idea is to create a 'narrative map' of Sheffield - a portrait of the city composed of multiple memories and reflections, which will showcase the diverse voices of citizens and the fabric of our communities. Students are working with staff to gather the stories and material, which will be published in a book designed by a local creative studio in Summer 2015.

I would be incredibly grateful of any stories! If anyone wants to be interviewed that would also be amazing.

Natalie

Hello Jack, I worked for Gleesons on at least five occasions in the 60s and 70,s.

Most Sheffield bricklayers at that time would have worked for them at one time or another, they were probably the biggest contractors around Sheffield at that time.

The last job I worked on was the Tower Blocks on Norfolk Park, they sacked us all one Friday and then set us back on again the week after.

Crazy days.

There has to be a good story behind that!

• 2 weeks later...