Insurance help or advice

I had a little bump in my car 2 months ago probley causing no more than £200 worth of damage with it been a scuff and a replacement light.

My insurance company has got incontact with me 2 month later i have a 900 pound excess to pay and the work got done to the car a week after despite the guy telling me i could pay cash for the work to be done, the works been done before i accept liability and i cannot fork 900 pound out just yet and my car needs fixing too.

Its the first bump ive ever had, were do i stand? As i think its been dealt with too late and in the wrong manner?

Cheers

You have to pay the £900 if that's your excess, plus a hike in premium. If the guy offered to let you pay cash without going through insurers then he was being very decent, why didn't you take him up on it and get his motor booked in to your garage to be repaired when he made the offer? Insurance jobs for minor accidents are always a total rip off vs actual damage, expensive lesson learned I'm afraid.

Yes I'm afraid its the way it is.

I bumped into someone who suddenly stopped dead for no reason on a round about. I had the work done myself which was a cracked bumper and a bit of paint. The mechanic straight away first words were "if not an insurance job it'll be cheaper".

Insurance always contact/write to you asking if you were involved in an accident, they havn't had a reply so have therefore repaired the other persons car after reviewing all the circumstances etc.

Seems like you ignored the problem hoping it would go away, even if you now tell them you were involved but the other guy agreed for you to privately repair his car they are going to point out that one of your policy terms are that you report any accidents as soon as possible.

Seems like you ignored the problem hoping it would go away, even if you now tell them you were involved but the other guy agreed for you to privately repair his car they are going to point out that one of your policy terms are that you report any accidents as soon as possible.

That's a very important point for the OP. If he/she were to complain on the basis a cash settlement was offered now it's been dealt with by the insurer there is every chance they could end up with not only the bill but refusal of further insurance and thus a massive premium hike with a sub prime insurer.

You are only liable for the £900 excess if the repair actually cost more than that... Maybe your £200 eyeball estimate was a poor one, but it might be worth asking your insurance company for details of what they have actually paid.

If you have fully comp insurance then the excess would only apply once for an incident, so yes, if you've already reached the £900 excess limit you may as well have your car repaired as part of the same claim.

You are only liable for the £900 excess if the repair actually cost more than that... Maybe your £200 eyeball estimate was a poor one, but it might be worth asking your insurance company for details of what they have actually paid.

If you have fully comp insurance then the excess would only apply once for an incident, so yes, if you've already reached the £900 excess limit you may as well have your car repaired as part of the same claim.

The damage its self should be around my eyeball cost to be honest but its probably the curtisy car what cost most it they had one although if the other parties cost was £400 ill just pay that, I will request a cost of damage list and if they request the full excess ill go in for mine to be repaired as since then my lambda sencers gone and I can claim it was in the bump as it is a possibility.

Lucky for me no one was in the car at the time so that should keep cost lower

May I say a big thank you to "Sheffield forum" people for the advice!!

The damage its self should be around my eyeball cost to be honest but its probably the curtisy car what cost most it they had one although if the other parties cost was £400 ill just pay that, I will request a cost of damage list and if they request the full excess ill go in for mine to be repaired as since then my lambda sencers gone and I can claim it was in the bump as it is a possibility.

Lucky for me no one was in the car at the time so that should keep cost lower

May I say a big thank you to "Sheffield forum" people for the advice!!

It's the hire cars that are the killer. Some lass backed into a car of mine a few years back, similar thing a couple of hundred quids worth of damage to bumper and light but as she left her insurance details but no phone number had to go through insurance, the garage that the insurers insisted repair it was the same company leasing the courtesy car and it "took them" 6 weeks to fix a light and bumper - so the courtesy car bill will have been thousands. It's a blatant rip off but other than settle up for cash there's no way around it.

Archived