Running pain advice.

lee79

Thanks for the reply.

I'm thinking more along the lines of slightly out of shape if I'm honest :) . The pain does stop soon after running. In fact, in the early days of running, when the runs were less than 90 seconds just the walking period was enough to bring the pain back down. There was sometimes an ache after, but not always. However, on the last run the ache lasted for some time.

I've been trying to get back into running since around late November and was hoping that it would have stopped by now. In the break I had over Christmas I did some stretching that someone linked me to on another forum and some core exercises. This seemed to do the trick and I have kept up with them but the added time (over 2 minutes) to the run period it just started again and was really bad.

keep stretching and working on your core. there are plenty of good 'lying down' stretches that you can find on youtube. Make sure you do stretching and warming up before you start running. Also concentrate on finding a good 'running stride' which will make sure you're using your body properly. Hopefully it's nothing serious. Good luck!

What running shoes are you wearing?

That's another thing I need to look at when I have some spare cash. Not sure what the actual model is but they're Adidas which I've always ran in. However, that was years ago and finding now that as I've had quite a break from it I'm having to take a more educated approach to it.

That's another thing I need to look at when I have some spare cash. Not sure what the actual model is but they're Adidas which I've always ran in. However, that was years ago and finding now that as I've had quite a break from it I'm having to take a more educated approach to it.

Unless they are proper running shoes tailored to your personal running style the will probably be doing you damage in one form or another.

As others have said go down to sweatshop or somewhere like up and running in attercliffe or accelerate and they will analyse your specific gait and recommend you the shoes you need, i was having problems a few years ago and they found out that my arch of the foot wasn't being supported properly- 1 pair of asics later and i have never looked back.

Remember if you are serious about running regularly you should be changing your trainers ever 5-600 miles as they do take a battering.

Don't recall seeing that, who said it? :)

Can you recommend where I'd be able to get that done?

Thanks.

Definitely check your shoes.

If you're a larger chap like me, you'll need good shoes. I used to get loads of shin pain, then I had my shoes checked, found I over pronate, and bought the right shoes. £90, but the pain went really quickly.

I went to a place in Meadowhall next to WH Smiths

I realise that money might be tight but don't waste your money on a cheap pair of trainers.

Get yourself down to that physio.

I had a knee problem a few years ago, and was told, by a physio, that it was a trapped nerve in my back. Never had a problem since.

I also had a minor shoulder problem, which I've had for years, and eventually got it sorted out by a good masseur.

I've also got a pain in the a*** but I'm not sure what I can do about that.

Archived