Running pain advice.

lee79

Some excellent advice here. Core, gait, shoes, stretching and a physio are the main messages so far. For what it's worth I'd like to add some non impact training to help your comeback. I find a rebounder works great. It moves every blood cell in your body and a 30 minute session will certainly assist a fitness regime.

What's your target? 10km, half marathon....

Some excellent advice here. Core, gait, shoes, stretching and a physio are the main messages so far. For what it's worth I'd like to add some non impact training to help your comeback. I find a rebounder works great. It moves every blood cell in your body and a 30 minute session will certainly assist a fitness regime.

What's your target? 10km, half marathon....

Definitely some good advice here, Morts. Thanks everyone.

My target at the moment if 5K. I've started one of those programs that's supposed to get you from couch to 5K:). I use to run quite a lot when I was younger but after such a long lay off it is a real struggle to get to a stage where I can say I'm a runner again lol.

Lee79 - you go running, therefore you're a runner !! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise either :)

Just to echo an earlier poster, I've had terrible problems in my knees and a visit to a good physio uncovered an unresolved upper back injury that was forcing my lower back to over-compensate and in turn trapping my sciatic nerve. The knee pain was referring from all the way up between my shoulder blades !!

Good luck with the future 5k - I'm getting back on the horse after 2 years out due to the aforementioned knee problems - mainly due to my own stupidity in refusing to see a physio for most of that time . . . .

Cheers,

-LC.

• 2 months later...

I hope your problems are all sorted now if not I provide a mobile Physiotherapy service where I can have a look at your running style and shoes and then assess to find the cause of your problems. I currently use video analysis to look at my clients running techniques in slow motion which really helps with diagnosis. If you would like any advice then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards Ant.

Health Professions Council Registered Physiotherapist PH93009, Personal trainer and Sports Masseur

Unless they are proper running shoes tailored to your personal running style the will probably be doing you damage in one form or another.

Not quite the case is it???

Here's some free and extensive guidance on trainers.

Try loads of different ones on and see which ones fit best and are the most comfy. They might cost you £20, they may cost you £100 but the price won't necessarily be a reflection on how good the shoes are for you so don't be suckered into paying too much when a cheap pair from Decathlon may be the perfect ones...end of advice.

Archived