TV LICENCE why should people pay when paying for Sky?

The poster is talking about the implied right of access to your property, which (AFAIK, and a lawyer can feel free to correct me here) only covers the postman (to deliver your mail) and people asking for directions.

I believe (again, I am not a lawyer) that you can exclude anyone else from accessing your property. This is why debt advice suggests telling a debt collection agency that they have no right of access to your property. However, that's not relevant to the thread.

It certianly doesn't affect the Police, and may well not affect other officials who are carrying out their legislative duties (eg, council officers, social services, enforcement officers for TVL).

In short, I don't think it's relevant.

Enforcement officers from tvl don't have the same rights as police my friend.

It's entirely relevant. Just look at youtube to know the tv officials are powerless and the cops know it.

---------- Post added 18-03-2013 at 21:10 ----------

What are these "implied rights" that you think you need to remove?

It means we are under no legal obligation to give name or details to any licensing official.

And Because they have no powers, and there sole mission is to gather evidence, that means the only person who can prosecute you is in effect yourself.

Enforcement officers from tvl don't have the same rights as police my friend.

That's why they need to be accompanied by the police who will be the ones with a warrant.

The TVL people only have the right under the law to read you your rights and then question you after doing so.

That's why they need to be accompanied by the police who will be the ones with a warrant.

The TVL people only have the right under the law to read you your rights and then question you after doing so.

It is possible for the TVL people to turn up with police and a warrant. In practice, it's not going to happen- no way is a warrant going to be issued without some very compelling evidence that there's a TV illegally receiving broadcasts.

As for the TVL people reading anyone their rights- it's pretty easy to just shut the door on them.

It is possible for the TVL people to turn up with police and a warrant. In practice, it's not going to happen- no way is a warrant going to be issued without some very compelling evidence that there's a TV illegally receiving broadcasts.

As for the TVL people reading anyone their rights- it's pretty easy to just shut the door on them.

Like those on the thread who have boasted they illegally evade the fee? Seems pretty compelling to me and the forum do have a policy of cooperating with all lawful requests for users information in cases of law breaking.

Prove me wrong then, show us some evidence to support your claim

its all over the internet actually, its an act not a law, same as parking tickets and filling in the census, its only law at sea not on land so unenforcable if you take it all the way

---------- Post added 19-03-2013 at 01:07 ----------

You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.

It costs £145.50 for colour and £49.00 for a black and white TV Licence.

If you have your antenna connected and are watching television as its broadcast, then you are breaking a law by not holding a valid tv licence.

Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's not a law :rolleyes:

it isnt a law its an act

Tv licensing are there to gather evidence. If you don't give details like name, then no court can issue warrant.

---------- Post added 19-03-2013 at 07:33 ----------

Like those on the thread who have boasted they illegally evade the fee? Seems pretty compelling to me and the forum do have a policy of cooperating with all lawful requests for users information in cases of law breaking.

Nope. Evidence is catching people Watching tv without license.

In practice the police have got better things to do.

If the licensing people had any sort of powers do you think they'd send out threatening letters? Do you think they'd be asking for details?

Surely if they had compelling evidence they could just prosecute with help of courts.

The truth is they don't know who you are, they don't have any evidence and only get to prosecute when people are dumb enough to comply and let them in.

---------- Post added 19-03-2013 at 08:07 ----------

I think everyone should contribute as it will reduce average cost,and will help resist the encroachment of Richard Murdoch and his ackerlights.

I think everyone should stop paying the license fee.

If they know the address then it's really not very difficult to find out who someone is.

How do you get from "it's difficult for them to prove it" to "everyone should break the law"? How do you justify in your head morally not paying something you're legally obliged to pay?

---------- Post added 19-03-2013 at 08:16 ----------

Tv licensing are there to gather evidence. If you don't give details like name, then no court can issue warrant.

Warrants can be issued for an address, they don't need the name of the occupant.

Nope. Evidence is catching people Watching tv without license.

Evidence would also include you making a statement to the effect that you watch broadcast TV and don't buy a license.

its all over the internet actually, its an act not a law, same as parking tickets and filling in the census, its only law at sea not on land so unenforcable if you take it all the way.

Why do people believe this gibberish?

Acts of parliament are what form laws.

it isnt a law its an act

Section 363 of the Communications Act 2003 makes it an offence to install or use a television receiver to watch or record any television programmes as they’re being shown on television without a TV Licence.

Section 365 of that Act requires that a person to whom a TV Licence is issued must pay a fee to the BBC. The nature and quantity of this fee is set out in the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended).

Since 1991 the BBC, in its role as the relevant licensing authority, has been responsible for collecting and enforcing the TV Licence fee. The BBC contracts companies to do this work under the BBC trade mark ‘TV Licensing’. The BBC (and contractors acting on its behalf) must comply with the law in collecting and enforcing the licence fee. The BBC Charter further requires that these arrangements be appropriate, proportionate and efficient.

Copies of the Communications Act 2003 and Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (and amendments) are available from the Office of Public Sector Information website.

act of parliament

Web definitions

An act of Parliament (Act of Parliament) is a statute (commonly called a law) as primary legislation by a national or sub-national..

An act of parliament is what forms the law.

More details on the constitutional process of the UK here

http://www.parliament.uk/about/how/laws/acts/

They quite clearly explain how acts of parliament become law.

Archived