TV LICENCE why should people pay when paying for Sky?

'License free TVs' that are incapable of recieving BBC would be one easy possibility.

OK. How do you intend to do that then? It's easy to say it but a significant technical challenge to do it - especially since you cannot require all those with TV who are licenced to change their TV

They have a remit to report the news impartially with no political byass, they make programs which are in the public interest, but couldn't be commercially justified. They don't sell air time to advertisers.

Whether the BBC report news impartially is a matter of heated discussion.

Their programs are no more 'in the public interest' that several other stations (e.g. ch4 has done lots of investigative reports that have been very much in the puiblic interest).

Selling air time to advertisers is a strawman, as I was clearly referring not to commercial ads, but to things like political broadcasts and public info shorts, which the BBC certainly do receive payment for (via the licence fee).

Agreed, but they are supposed to be impartial.

Their programs are no more 'in the public interest' that several other stations (e.g. ch4 has done lots of investigative reports that have been very much in the puiblic interest).

Only ones that it can make a profit from though.

Selling air time to advertisers is a strawman, as I was clearly referring not to commercial ads, but to things like political broadcasts and public info shorts, which the BBC certainly do receive payment for (via the licence fee).

I was referring to adverts though, it's not a strawman, it's what happens on commercial channels and an advantage of the BBC that they don't do it.

OK. How do you intend to do that then? It's easy to say it but a significant technical challenge to do it - especially since you cannot require all those with TV who are licenced to change their TV

All modern TVs are digital- it's a straightforward matter of programming the 'no license TVs' so they can't receive BBC.

Just as DVD players used to be programmed to not play DVDs from certain regions. It wouldn't be foolproof, and, some would be able to tamper with it, but, that applies eqally to any such restrictions.

As for those with a TV already- again, no problem, simply apply to restriction to the new 'no license' TVs.

It's totally possible, and, could have been done just as easily with the old analogue TVs- I believe the reason it never was, was precisely because it would have allowed people to chose to watch all broadcasts (other than BBC ones) without be legally obliged to buy a TV license.

Ah Ch4... that's publicly owned you know.... and the reason it does all the investigative reporting is because it's or rather was required to do so as a condition of it's broadcast licence.... much like the BBC is under it's Charter...

All modern TVs are digital- it's a straightforward matter of programming the 'no license TVs' so they can't receive BBC.

OK. Tell me *how* - it's not just saying it's digital and magic - tell me how you would it. It's not at all an easy task to do without freezing all the broadcast channels, or requiring everyone to update their kit. Now if they had decided to encrypt the BBC at the time of the digital roll out that would have been easy, but they didn't and so we are stuck with free to receive BBC for a long time to come.

And therefore a straightforward matter in hacking it so they can get BBC.

Remember when DVD players first came out and they were locked to region 2?

Agreed, but they are supposed to be impartial.

True. But the fact that, in reality, they aren't, means that it doesn't stand as justification for the licence fee anymore.

Only ones that it can make a profit from though.

True. Also true of the BBC as it has to make a profit as well

I was referring to adverts though, it's not a strawman, it's what happens on commercial channels and an advantage of the BBC that they don't do it.

I wasn't referring to commercial ads- as you seemed to be replying to my post, I was just pointing out that, as a reply to my post (which you actually quoted in the reply), it was indeed a strawman.

---------- Post added 20-03-2013 at 10:18 ----------

Ah Ch4... that's publicly owned you know.... and the reason it does all the investigative reporting is because it's or rather was required to do so as a condition of it's broadcast licence.... much like the BBC is under it's Charter...

A broadcast fee which the public don't have to pay for via a licence fee, like they do with the BBC. All I pointed out was that other stations (like ch4) do do programs in the public interest.

Archived