TV LICENCE why should people pay when paying for Sky?

Yes that's easy to do. Assuming that you either give everyone with a current TV and licence a free decoder - they certainly will get annoyed at having to buy one just to permit those who dont want to watch it to have their way...

Only read the first page, but I think what SAAB was getting at, is it's a similar scenario to how Bailifs work...

If you deny entry to said Bailif (or TV Licensing Agent) they cannot force their way in, in any way as they would be breaking the law...

So, if you refuse access to a TV Licensing Agent, it's a similar story... they can however (unlike Bailifs) get a court order to allow them assisted and monitored access by an officer of the law, should they have sufficient evidence to say that you are watching TV without a license....

Yes that's easy to do. Assuming that you either give everyone with a current TV and licence a free decoder - they certainly will get annoyed at having to buy one just to permit those who dont want to watch it to have their way...

You'd have £170 million a year that is currently paid to Capita to fund the cost of decoders. That would pay for itself in a couple of years and then allow a reduction in the price for subscribers.

You imply that I've already commited a strawman when I haven't. Whose guilty of that one now then..?

You originally postulated that a licence could be removed if people had licence free TV's that cannot receive BBC. You admit that is impossible to achieve. You have shot your own argument down, by hoisting yourself with your own petard.

No I haven't. Read my post.

---------- Post added 20-03-2013 at 13:05 ----------

Only read the first page, but I think what SAAB was getting at, is it's a similar scenario to how Bailifs work...

If you deny entry to said Bailif (or TV Licensing Agent) they cannot force their way in, in any way as they would be breaking the law...

So, if you refuse access to a TV Licensing Agent, it's a similar story... they can however (unlike Bailifs) get a court order to allow them assisted and monitored access by an officer of the law, should they have sufficient evidence to say that you are watching TV without a license....

Which, if they've not been allowed into the house in the first place, they're not going to have.

No I haven't. Read my post.

*sigh* Let me remind you.

I do know that any attempts at any kind of digital restriction e.g. DRM tend to be botch jobs that can always be bypassed.

Now since you've progressed to calling black is white I see no reason to continue, the point is well made.

All i've said is that ANY form of restriction can be bypassed- whether it's TV restriction, drug laws, DRM etc, etc, etc. I've said that several times, very clearly i.e. the fact that it can be bypassed is not exclusive to TV- it applies to ALL restrictions, and, no more invalidates TV restrictions than it does any other form of restriction- they stand and fall together.

No, the BBC are not required to make a profit, they are funded by the license fee. The BBC is not a business.

The BBC is a business;a business is an enterprise which provides a service or goods using a range of resources,funded either by sales,subscriptions, or by government funding.This is taught on all good business courses.:)

You'd have £170 million a year that is currently paid to Capita to fund the cost of decoders. That would pay for itself in a couple of years and then allow a reduction in the price for subscribers.

You're kidding yourself if you think development, testing, production, supply and support can be done for £170 million.

Archived