TV LICENCE why should people pay when paying for Sky?

Why do we actually pay tv licence i pay for my sky ..... i think tv license should be included when paying for sky/virgin telly ....

...Before all TV went digital, I would have assumed that a really good idea would be to have had a cheap licence for Analog TV and a more expensive one for digital, but of course that opportunity has now been lost.

More pertinently, I am disappointed that so many satellite channels for which we pay through the teeth for the privelige of watching, chop up many of their great programmes with numerous adverts, especially all the Government-related twaddle annoys me. At least I don't have any TV as I cannot afford a licence and I have little time outside reading lol:hihi:

Aren't most satellite channels already getting enough income from millions of subscribers WORLDWIDE, without having to resort to advertising as well??

In future, I hope we will see satellite TV move more into two different categories: 'Freeview' with regular advertisement breaks AND, some kind of Community Advertising capacity during closed hours late at night,(Rather than 'Teleshopping') (so small businesses, etc. can cheaply buy small-ads targeting their local areas), and the more premium Satellite Quality channels priced according to their content and available on a 'pay per view' system, with NO advertising at all. Some Satellite Channels may still, however, adopt a middle way, such as broadcasting ads in between programmes ONLY or 'This programme sponsored by XYZ' mini-ads, or even a rolling 'banner-ad' function at the bottom of the screen..

Anyone else have thoughts about any of these ideas?:thumbsup:

Aren't most satellite channels already getting enough income from millions of subscribers WORLDWIDE, without having to resort to advertising as well??...

I'm not an avid watcher of TV ... 5 or 6 hours a week at max (my wife is though ;)), but:

The world is round (well, it's an oblate spheroid)

Satellites are positioned in geostationary orbits. So a satellite which is visible from one point on the earth's surface is not visible from a point about 75-80º East or West of the sub-point. Furthermore, the satellite aerials may not be pointed towards where you are. (Here's a link to the footprint for Astra 2d [the one that carries Sky and Freesat signals.]) If you live outside that footprint, you probably won't be able to use that satellite.

In future, I hope we will see satellite TV move more into two different categories: 'Freeview' with regular advertisement breaks AND, some kind of Community Advertising capacity during closed hours late at night,(Rather than 'Teleshopping') (so small businesses, etc. can cheaply buy small-ads targeting their local areas), and the more premium Satellite Quality channels priced according to their content and available on a 'pay per view' system, with NO advertising at all. Some Satellite Channels may still, however, adopt a middle way, such as broadcasting ads in between programmes ONLY or 'This programme sponsored by XYZ' mini-ads, or even a rolling 'banner-ad' function at the bottom of the screen..

Anyone else have thoughts about any of these ideas?:thumbsup:

I think you're being a bit optimistic, Tyranna. There are already a number of different categories and the amount of adverts seems to be increasing, rather than decreasing. :( Some Channels are encrypted and you have to pay to watch them - many of those still have adverts. Other Channels are open and many are solely adverts. Those channels (in the US) which were formerly 'Local over the air' are often carried by cable providers and satellite TV providers, but whereas it used to be about 45 minutes of TV and 15 minutes of adverts, it now takes an hour and a half to screen a 45 minute show.

Fortunately (for those viewers who don't like commercials) there are a number of Digital Video Recorders available which allow you to fast-forward through the adverts (and there is also some pretty good editing software which allows you to edit out the adverts, too.)

It is possible to get TV with no adverts (Netflix, Pay-Per-View etc) but the amount of advert-free TV seems to be decreasing.

Banner ads along the bottom of the screen are a bloody nuisance! (A number of American channels 'flash up' adverts on a part of the screen ... If I'm watching, that's a cue to hit the 'off' button!

I think that over the coming years there may be far more cable TV in the UK (Hopefully reasonably- priced, too) with the option to watch a wide range of programmes at any time. (Not necessarily at a fixed broadcast time.) (I can, through the Cable Company which provides me with service, select a programme (from a fairly long list), choose the time at which I want to watch it and watch it at that time.

(I can also set it to record and watch it without the adverts.) My computer (like all computers running fairly recent versions of Windows) has Windows Media Player, I've got an Infini-TV PCI cable TV card, with a cablecard and so - effectively - the computer operates as a 6-channel DVR.

Hopefully there will be improvements in the availablity of programmes; there might even be some price reductions, but I suspect that the amount of adverts is going to increase rather than decrease.

---------- Post added 23-03-2013 at 23:46 ----------

yous have to pay the tv licenccs or u get imprioned

That's a bit harsh! By John Gummer with a beefburger?:hihi:

• 2 weeks later...

Not really a loophole I thought it was common knowledge that you didn't need one if you didn't watch live TV.

The problem is, the vest majority of people will use catch up services in addition to watching live TV, which would be still illegal without a license.

Maybe they'll change the law to include those using iPlayer. Or make those using iPlayer without a license have to pay to watch per programme. This will obviously be a possibility if enough people stop paying as they can't run the BBC on thin air.

Archived