TV LICENCE why should people pay when paying for Sky?

Additionally, your generalisation that those who don't pay for a TV license is necessarily down to 'tightness' is also incorrect- many other reasons have been clearly given in this thread, many of which are based on not wanting to support a company (the BBC) which is seen as crooked.

Naturally Murdoch is all sweetness and light :cool:

Probably time to change the law then. Either get rid of the licence fee (not gonna happen, the Gov get rid of a tax :o !!!!) or forget this rubbish about "watch live TV" or whatever it is - any house with a screen that can watch a TV program is subject to it.

If you believe the company is crooked you can take a principled stand by not having telly and thus having no need to pay them.

People can also take a principled stand by watching TV and not buying a TV license.

They consider the company and its methods to be immoral, so they don't give it money. Then, just to stick it to them a bit more, they not only continue to watch TV, but also publicise the fact that the companies 'enforcement officers' have powers that are as imaginary as TV detector vans.

Do that, or you're just another deadbeat who wants to shirk their bills.

You've said that before, I pointed out that, IMO, you're wrong- it's nothing more than pointless name-calling. If you've got a point to make, then make it, and back it up with some form of reasoning.

I think you'll find that most people who, out of principle, don't pay the BBC their extortion fee, continue to pay their bills (water, gas, car insurance etc)- their motivation for not going along with the TV licence scam isn't to save money.

People can also take a principled stand by watching TV and not buying a TV license.

They consider the company and its methods to be immoral, so they don't give it money.

So they pay a subscription to Murdoch and take the moral high ground? How does that work :help:

They consider the company and its methods to be immoral, so they don't give it money. Then, just to stick it to them a bit more, they not only continue to watch TV, but also publicise the fact that the companies 'enforcement officers' have powers that are as imaginary as TV detector vans.

You've said that before, I pointed out that, IMO, you're wrong- it's nothing more than pointless name-calling. If you've got a point to make, then make it, and back it up with some form of reasoning.

I think you'll find that most people who, out of principle, don't pay the BBC their extortion fee, continue to pay their bills (water, gas, car insurance etc)- their motivation for not going along with the TV licence scam isn't to save money.

The point I'm making is you cannot take a "principled stand" by hiding behind the sofa when the licencing people come knocking. If you wish to make such a stand tell them you refuse to pay on point of principle and accept whatever the mandated punishment is while gathering publicity for your cause, whatever that is, as a martyr to it. Just not paying isn't principled, it's tax evasion.

Apologies for the selective quoting Dave, but there are two discussions going on here.

1) Is it illegal to watch live TV without a licence in the UK?

The answer is yes. There are those who think that because the law in question is derived from an Act, rather than a set of agreed rules they think they've had since the Magna Carta, that the law does not apply to them. They are wrong - their delusion would be up to them to enjoy, in isolation, but it's dangerous when they get other people (typically, as you say, those you can't afford to give up £3 per month) sucked into criminality. Maybe licence evasion isn't the worst crime in the world, but you try asking them about council tax, or debt repayments.

2) Will a given person get away with being a licence evader?

This is your point. The answer, sadly, is yes - I suspect it would be very easy to get away with not paying for your licence. Still illegal though. It still means that those of us who pay for it are having their service degraded because there is not as much money in the pot - revenue is being spent on enforcement.

So, this post is comprised of those who don't accept that there is a law, and those, like you, who accept that there is, but advocate breaking it.

You're both wrong.

The magna carta is more towards Barons to stop opposing taxes that they where foced to pay.But still legit today.The bill of rights however?The point is for non payment of the TV license is because no contract has been signed.The BBC is just a company.With no legal right to take money from your account as say BT.

---------- Post added 07-04-2013 at 22:35 ----------

Well quite, and well we're at it why the hell should we pay for the nhs? And dole people. We're healthy working sorts so why pay for something we don't need right now?

You're brighter than this dave. We can't pick and choose what laws we want to obey. The TV licence is an anacronism, but its a law and freeman on the land **** doesn't change that. We either obey the law or we don't - if we don't we are criminals and that's not a good place to be.

That is different though,you can not scramble the NHS like you can a channel.Plus the immigrants are strangling the NHS,which is a different thread.

---------- Post added 07-04-2013 at 22:41 ----------

Probably time to change the law then. Either get rid of the licence fee (not gonna happen, the Gov get rid of a tax :o !!!!) or forget this rubbish about "watch live TV" or whatever it is - any house with a screen that can watch a TV program is subject to it.

look at your license, Iwould look at mine but i dont have one:hihi:It says you must pay until 2016.Obviuosly they may have another way to make us pay.Will it be an attachment to earnings,if so im sure most of you will be delighted with the idea.:huh:

---------- Post added 07-04-2013 at 22:54 ----------

The point I'm making is you cannot take a "principled stand" by hiding behind the sofa when the licencing people come knocking. If you wish to make such a stand tell them you refuse to pay on point of principle and accept whatever the mandated punishment is while gathering publicity for your cause, whatever that is, as a martyr to it. Just not paying isn't principled, it's tax evasion.

Its unlawful tax,by the government.The avoidance of the TV license is not unlawful,neither is taking a **** in the street.You do know that the original road tax ACT or LAW to you that dont get it,only implied to commerce, eg taxis,deliveries etc.If a person was to go from A-B eg from home to work,no tax was impliable,as we where only classed as travellers?But like most taxes its a violation of the UK constitution.

Lets take a good look around us,every thing is by contract.You get out a loan,you sign a contract,you get out a mobile phone eg a two year contract.Think about it?You dont sign a contract for council tax either,which is also a company,as is the BBC.BUT, i do agree to income tax, or we would not be where we are now,sorry where we used to be 12 years ago.Worse like Greece.

Archived