TV LICENCE why should people pay when paying for Sky?

They started this when I bought tv in asda and asda shared them my details. I wrote to them that I needed only for DVD and BR films. They seemed not to believe me and keep sending officers to my home. Of course I could not let them in but I had nothing to hide and each time showed that only DVD player is connected to tv.

For a long time I had tv only to watch bluray and DVD. No signal free view or virgin. Plenty of letters harrasing that I need tv licence. When I ignored letters they started visiting me. About 4visit within half of the year. They came at different times. The earliest visit was half past 8 the latest at 10pm. I decided to buy this licence because i realised it was the only way to stop letters and visits.

Unfortunately, you've paid for a license that you do not require. The law is clear, you only need a license if you watch/record TV programmes as they are being broadcast. If you only use your TV for watching DVDs, no license is required.

The letters can be safely ignored, as can the visits- either don't answer the door, or, answer it and tell them you're not interested, say 'goodbye' then close the door.

You need a licence to receive the signal that allows vision (pictures) to appear on your tv regardless of whether you're watching a DVD, ITV or satellite.

This is not true- a license is only required for watching/recording programmes as they are being broadcast- watching DVDs does not require a license (neither does watching programmes on, for example, iplayer on a pc, as 'catchup', after they've been broadcast.

Here's a quote from the actual tv licensing website to prove it-

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check/viewtopiccontent.aspx?id=TOP12&iqdocumentid=TOP12&WT.mc_id=r001

If you don’t watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV, on any device, you don’t need a TV Licence. Here’s how you can let us know.

The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorders.

You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.

The page goes on to explain how you can inform tv licensing if you don't require a license, and, that they may need to schedule a 'visit' to confirm- bear in mind that you're not legally obliged to either inform them, or, communicate with them in any way or, assist them if they visit.

ye but at least i watch sky, and its not a tv tax as itv and all the other channels pay for themselves through adverts so as it stands it's the government who can raise licenses or reduce them which makes bbc beholden to the gov.

I think you'll find that the past several governments of various political parties have whined that the BBC is against them --- that tells me the BBC is doing something right (and not beholden to the government).

Nope

Its not.

Do your research and stop being one of the sheeple.

Im still waiting to be arrested and thrown into jail because i have "supposedly" broken the law.Are you SAAB?:hihi:

I have given another friend advice on the withdrawn rights of access and she got her letter last week, saying that they will leave her alone and not send any inspectors round,another result.

---------- Post added 25-04-2013 at 10:51 ----------

It is the law. It's the wrong way to fund the BBC in this day and age IMO but that's not relevant, as it stands it's the law. You're breaking the law and at the moment getting away with it, like any criminal who has not yet been caught. Great example to set the young uns.

It is just an ACT,which needs my consent eg inspector asks you to sign his paperwork,then your in court and get a £150 fine.No signiture on his paperwork, means no court and no £150 fine,simples,sheeples.

If you read your TV license, it says you must pay your TV license until 2016, why only until 2016?

Weasel out of paying money to a billion £ organization that gets lots of money by tricking the general public into thinking its the law.

Its a good scam ill give them that..

I wont be scammed out of my money though, thats for the sheeple :)

Also another Government scam is, if you look online for your local tax office number and ring it, even if it says it is a local 0114 number.They charge you premium rate and you end up with a £10-£20 charge,depends how long obviously and how many times you have had to ring them back.

Also another Government scam is, if you look online for your local tax office number and ring it, even if it says it is a local 0114 number.They charge you premium rate and you end up with a £10-£20 charge,depends how long obviously and how many times you have had to ring them back.

I heard that from a pal of mine a few months ago.

Id be well annoyed if id rung what i thought was a sheffield number only to find id been charged a premium rate.

Still, thats government for you.

Bent!

Ive got my soap on a rope on standby mate.

Thats just how scared i am :D

You cant help but laugh at them,can you.Just how brainwashed some folks are.I cant wait for the public park permit or dog license to come into force and read there reaction to that.It will be something like "oh yes, i agree 100% that by law, i now have to pay to enter or walk my dog in my local park" and "oh yes, all dog owners should pay for a dog license,as i love lining the pockets of strangers,even though im struggling myself" because i am told by the government it's the LAW.Harm or loss is the only law of the land.

You cant help but laugh at them,can you.Just how brainwashed some folks are.I cant wait for the public park permit or dog license to come into force and read there reaction to that.It will be something like "oh yes, i agree 100% that by law, i now have to pay to enter or walk my dog in my local park" and "oh yes, all dog owners should pay for a dog license,as i love lining the pockets of strangers,even though im struggling myself" because i am told by the government it's the LAW.Harm or loss is the only law of the land.

Laugh is right. But still, like you say if they want to line the pockets of some stranger then thats up to them.

To avoid paying this all they need to do is a little research, itll take minutes to find how the bbc has been scamming them all these years.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Let's see one of these itemisied bills then showing such a fee next to a local rate number.

---------- Post added 25-04-2013 at 11:22 ----------

It is just an ACT,which needs my consent

Wrong. There is nothing that requires your consent to the law - if you don't like it you are perfectly free to leave the country.

Archived