TV LICENCE why should people pay when paying for Sky?

You have to pay because it is a TV tax.

I don't watch live broadcasts,so no i don't have to pay.Even if i did, there is nothing they can do.Inspectors have been.Even if i did let him/her in and they saw me watching live broadcast, still nothing they can, unless i sign there paperwork,consenting for them to take me to court.Otherwise it is just there word against mine.DOSXUK said in a previous post, it is a civil matter,not criminal, if you do not pay.Its all a con,they even lied to the public about detector vans.A 60 yr old cleaner at my work is being threatened by Capita with a £1000 fine,because she owes them 50p.A friend of mine has stopped paying, because she works around the country and sometimes can't pay on time,maybe a few days late.So because she gets threatened also with a £1000 fine, if it is not paid on time in future.They really are not helping themselves.There are plenty of videos/evidence on youtube, to prove that what DOSXUK and others say, is utter and complete TOSH.He obviously works for them.

---------- Post added 28-04-2013 at 10:45 ----------

In case it's not clear from all the waffle, there isn't a compulsory charge levied by the government to run the BBC. We have to pay a fee to operate television signal receivers, in common with many other things we get charged to use, like cars with their vehicle excise duty. Unlike the VED though, the television licence fee funds are ring fenced, primarily for the publicly owned BBC, and the BBC are also required to manage the collection of those fees. The funds from the VED on the other hand just go to central budgets for spending on anything.

I can accept that this is a very un-American concept, but there are numerous things we do over here which are similarly unappealing to many Americans, like having compulsory National Insurance and a free-to-the-user health service, something which only a tiny number of Brits have any issue with.

Many other countries have a licence fee equivalent, including many which also have adverts shown on channels which have government funding.

Oh, and just so you know, the BBC programmes you get to watch, they're bought at commercial rates from the BBC, and the proceeds of those sales go to supplement the licence fee. You don't get them for free at the cost of British fee payers.

There are many pro's and con's to the way the BBC is funded, and the alternatives, and a sensible discussion of those is probably more suited to a new thread which isn't filled with FMoTL nonsense from freeloaders like this one.

It goes to fund all this

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=sun%20investigation%20into%20bbc%20spending&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&ved=0CGAQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thesun.co.uk%2Fsol%2Fhomepage%2Ffeatures%2F3470211%2FSun-investigation-reveals-waste-is-endemic-in-the-BBC.html&ei=kiF8UaumHIKt0QXv4IHwDQ&usg=AFQjCNFHuGFUOPUdP2CZwfkTlP5-xXwabQ

---------- Post added 28-04-2013 at 10:49 ----------

not free of charge

just without paying

thief!

If this the case why have i not been arrested?I just don't understand why people are stupid enough to pay for things they don't have to,the mind boggles.

Let's see what the BBC do in 2016.

---------- Post added 28-04-2013 at 11:22 ----------

Hey,i have just read this and no i only have one username.One is enough to put up with,never mind multiple ones.

DOSXUK said in a previous post, it is a civil matter,not criminal, if you do not pay.

No I didn't. Again...

Im reading this because this is written:roll:

In which case how do you jump from

[some magistrates say] licence fee evasion should be a civil matter, not criminal

to

It is not a criminal offence not to pay your TV license

when I clearly state it's a criminal matter at present?

What's bolted to the wall isn't evidence, however if it gives capita even a hunch you've got a sat/cable subscription then all they need to do is contact the providers and if a sub comes back for that address then yes, it's bulletproof in court.

Unless you think a magistrate would accept the argument that someone is paying Sky for a service which can only legally be used with a licence but doesn't actually use it, they just like giving Rupe money. Not only would it not wash the fine would be at the upper end of the scale as a blatant pisstake. You're giving the OP bad advice which could land him in court and well out of pocket.

---------- Post added 24-04-2013 at 20:55 ----------

Yes you do.

Who's name will be on the court summons?

I can imaginr the letter.

Dear present occupier.

You are hereby summoned to court on the uderstanding that when a Tv inspector visited your premises, he could hear daleks speaking in the background.So therefore you must have been watching live broadcasts.The inspector also noticed that there are several dishes and aeriels attached to your apartment block,so one of these must be yours.

In case it's not clear from all the waffle, there isn't a compulsory charge levied by the government to run the BBC. We have to pay a fee to operate television signal receivers, in common with many other things we get charged to use, like cars with their vehicle excise duty. Unlike the VED though, the television licence fee funds are ring fenced, primarily for the publicly owned BBC, and the BBC are also required to manage the collection of those fees. The funds from the VED on the other hand just go to central budgets for spending on anything.

I can accept that this is a very un-American concept, but there are numerous things we do over here which are similarly unappealing to many Americans, like having compulsory National Insurance and a free-to-the-user health service, something which only a tiny number of Brits have any issue with.

Many other countries have a licence fee equivalent, including many which also have adverts shown on channels which have government funding.

Oh, and just so you know, the BBC programmes you get to watch, they're bought at commercial rates from the BBC, and the proceeds of those sales go to supplement the licence fee. You don't get them for free at the cost of British fee payers.

There are many pro's and con's to the way the BBC is funded, and the alternatives, and a sensible discussion of those is probably more suited to a new thread which isn't filled with FMoTL nonsense from freeloaders like this one.

Having been for many years the recipient of the "free for all" National Health in UK, it seemed to me at the time that I paid a large part of my income to help maintain it, just as I did in Canada, where I got excellent service promptly and expertly. My cousin's widow continues to this day complaining that her husband died of colon cancer because it took too long to get an appointment in Sheffield for a colon examination. But who am I to say. I survived cancer 12 years ago, paid for by medicare, an American concept.

Who's name will be on the court summons?

I can imaginr the letter.

Dear present occupier.

You are hereby summoned to court on the uderstanding that when a Tv inspector visited your premises, he could hear daleks speaking in the background.So therefore you must have been watching live broadcasts.The inspector also noticed that there are several dishes and aeriels attached to your apartment block,so one of these must be yours.

Do you pay your subscription to sky under the name "Mr Present Occupier" or do you imagine that Sky will withhold the details if there's a warrant involved?

You live in an apartment block now?

Do you pay your subscription to sky under the name "Mr Present Occupier" or do you imagine that Sky will withhold the details if there's a warrant involved?

You live in an apartment block now?

No, Freesat :D and the warrant the inspector has, is not worth the paper it is wrote on.

Why,where did i live before?is someone not telling me something?:suspect:

An inspector that works for a private company can't execute a warrant, I meant a warrant to get your records from Sky.

But so far all you've demonstrated is that by restricting yourself to free to air services, living in a tower block and being afraid to answer the door without turning off the television you can avoid having evidence gathered against you.

I am confused though as to what land it is you've denied anyone access too (withdrawing the implied consent) since right up to your threshold it will be a public or at best privately shared space.

You might as well be arguing that it's okay for you to rob my house, because so far the police haven't caught you.

Do the research.

The stuff I have found doesn't match up with your claim that a warrant is worthless, so I put to you that you either need to provide some evidence to back up your claim, or to provide links to the research you keep saying is out there.

Archived