TV LICENCE why should people pay when paying for Sky?

You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast..

This is correct.

The TV license now covers all forms of access to BBC content, including iplayer in the Uk.

This is utter bunkum.

Don't take my word for it.

From the TV Licensing site:

You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands.

LINK

and...

Exception: If you only watch catch-up services online, then you don’t need a licence. For example, you don’t need one to use BBC iPlayer, or ITV player, to catch up on programmes after they have been shown on TV

LINK

As someone who has been LLF (legally licence free) since 2007, I like to keep up with the current state of the law.

Getting back to the OP's original point, as it stands, you need a TV licence even if you only ever watch/record Sky TV.

Whether that's acceptable is another point, I doubt if the BBC would survive very well in direct commercial competition to other broadcasters.

Slightly off topic, but on the subject of Sky TV, how come so many people plead poverty when they`ve a Sky satellite dish (receiving paid for programmes) on their wall......

I`ve been skint in my life, I know what it`s like, but I don`t think anyone with spare money to pay for Sky is poor, no way. And how can people on benefits afford Sky ? ! ? Something dodgy there I think.

Slightly off topic, but on the subject of Sky TV, how come so many people plead poverty when they`ve a Sky satellite dish (receiving paid for programmes) on their wall......

I`ve been skint in my life, I know what it`s like, but I don`t think anyone with spare money to pay for Sky is poor, no way. And how can people on benefits afford Sky ? ! ? Something dodgy there I think.

Although some may have a satellite dish on the wall it may well be that they are watching Freesat which require no subscriptions.

OK, so it basically comes down to whether you have an antenna attached to the TV or not.

Antenna attached - no licence - breaking the law

No antenna attached - no licence required - not breaking the law.

I would have thought that for the vast majority of people, not having an antenna attached is not really an option!

No- it comes down to whether you're watching a live TV broadcast: if it can't be proven that you have been, then you're OK.

The TV licensing people, when they finally started to admit that you can legally use a TV for purposes other than watching programs as they are being broadcast (i.e. you can view DVDs and non-live broadcasts, legally, without a license)- started saying that if people had a TV not connected to an ariel, or de-tuned, they would be satisfied that the person did not require a TV license.

However, to all those who (sensibly) simply do not allow them into their houses to 'check' that they don't need a license, it's obviously a bit irrelevant :)

What the law says, is that there needs to be proof that the householder is not watching live TV broadcasts, and that's all it says.

Surely the opposite proof would be required, with the principle of UK law being innocent until proven guilty... The prosecution would have to establish that you were watching broadcast TV.

Lets see if I can at last get this right.;)

You are correct as the onus is on the prosecution to prove guilt.

Archived