Advice on buying and keeping gold.

Just wondered if anyone here has experience buying and storing gold?

Presumably, you have to decide between buying physical gold, or something like gold bonds (where you own, but do not possess the gold).

Where would you buy it?

Where would you store it?

Thanks.

Store it in either a safe or in a bank.

As for buying, well those guys you see operating a stall in various shopping centres or on street/market buying 'scrap' seem to make fairly good money.

Why are you wanting to buy gold again, in the hope that the price rises or just to get your money into some solid asset?

I considered it briefly, I came to the conclusion that buying gold sovereigns would be the best idea. They're exempt from CG tax for a start. Buying bonds or shares is more risky, it's possible for the companies that issue them to fail. If you can find a 100% asset backed bond then it's safer, but of course you pay a premium for that status.

Given the small size of the sovereigns I was going to keep them in a safe at home and not advertise the fact that I had them.

Presumably, you have to decide between buying physical gold, or something like gold bonds (where you own, but do not possess the gold).

Where would you buy it?

Thanks.

Jewelers will sell you 22, 24t ingots for a small handling fee.Keep them with the reciept and price paid inc. fee vat etc. Get a small quality safe, hide it with instructions to a trusted third party to find it if you peg it. Be aware if you buy with cash you must be able to show where it came from ie, cash machine or counter reciept, just in case tax man cometh a knocking. Buy stirling silver also, its on the up, gold is near its peak.

Why are you wanting to buy gold again, in the hope that the price rises or just to get your money into some solid asset?

Thanks geared. Just really speculation at this point. I suspect it's a probably a better investment than money in a bank account.

I did a little research; and it seems there is quite a big spread, % difference between what you can buy and sell for. Especially with coins. Not too bad with larger bars.

Where would you buy it?

Thanks.

Here https://www.valcambigold.com/category/38-best-selling-products.aspx

You can buy from these people, and you can snap off sections to sell if you need.

Archived