Sky want to charge for a router

Petrol companies make profit out of me filling my tank, does that mean I'm entitled to a free fill up?

They don't supply the kit needed for my car to use their petrol, do they?

If they wanted me to exclusively use their petrol (instead of another petrol company's petrol) then I would expect them to provide whatever things were necessary for this to happen.

Your analogy doesn't compare apples with apples. If I don't like the price at my normal garage next week then I'm free to go elsewhere, whereas broadband suppliers are tying you in to an exclusive contract using their product.

The point being that as with most Sheffielder's, you're wanting 'owt for nowt'

And you wonder why big businesses/industry doesn't come to the area, it's because you're all the bloody scrounge all the time.

And you wonder why big businesses/industry doesn't come to the area, it's because you're all the bloody scrounge all the time.

Methinks he had to pay full price for summat and not a happy bunny lol

Sorry, but if I have paid them for a service for a number of years then they are making a profit from me as a customer.

when you worked, did you used to think "I know, I`ve been paid for the last three years, I`ll work this month for free"

I dont think so.

I wouldn't call a Sky package "nowt".

Im sure it cost's sky peanuts for these routers,and im sure it won't be anywhere near the £37 quoted to the OP.

I also don't believe its a Sheffield only thing either.

Also on a final note...

Are you sure the equipment is a "gift"?

As every router I have ever had,has always been loaned to you.For example when you cancel your contract,you usually have to pay an equipment fee.I don't know if this happens with Sky,but I have had these terms with every BB supplier in the past,hence the reason why replacements are usually re-conditioned units.

---------- Post added 18-03-2013 at 18:39 ----------

when you worked, did you used to think "I know, I`ve been paid for the last three years, I`ll work this month for free"

I dont think so.

I don't think your analogy is even comparable TBH.

Methinks he had to pay full price for summat and not a happy bunny lol

I pay what I have to. The difference being I do my research. That said there have been instances where I've paid slightly more than the RRP but only when I've known the company behind the sale will go out of their way in the event of an issue.

Of course I look for bargains, but I don't expect everything given to me.

---------- Post added 18-03-2013 at 18:42 ----------

Are you sure the equipment is a "gift"?

I've never paid for any of the ISP supplied routers, nor have I ever been asked to return/pay for them when I've chosen to leave.

So by definition something given freely and without any obligation to purchase or return must be a gift.

With Sky, the equipment is YOURS (you sometimes have to buy set up, the free set up and equipment is a special offer and if you don't take, for example, the HD pack at extra cost per month, you have to pay for your box/dish) and once it is out of warranty they expect you to repair or replace it yourself.

With Virgin, the box is theirs and they want it back when you leave them. They repair or replace it for free as long as you're with them. Not sure on other company policies.

The thing is, you are using Sky and their services. If your dish, box, or router breaks, you can no longer use part of the service, and unless they do want to lose customers to another company, they do realise that giving them new equipment free is the best way forward, but it is in the small print of your contracts that you will be charged. If you don't want to pay and you threaten to leave them, you'll probably get one free, although I would say its rather unfair to them when they clearly state the rules at the start.

Archived