Sky want to charge for a router

when you worked, did you used to think "I know, I`ve been paid for the last three years, I`ll work this month for free"

I dont think so.

I'm not asking them to work for free. I'm asking them to provide me with a piece of kit that costs half of what I pay them every month to enable me to use their services fully, and if I had gone to another supplier then the new supplier would have done just that.

I am a loyal customer and I have paid their full asking price for the services that I receive for over 15 years. I paid for each of my Sky boxes and I submitted to a contract several times with changes of service that tied me into their services for a minimum of 12-18 months at a time. They have made plenty of profit from my custom with them.

In what way is that asking them to work for nothing? They make plenty of profit from me.

I've never paid for any of the ISP supplied routers, nor have I ever been asked to return/pay for them when I've chosen to leave.

So by definition something given freely and without any obligation to purchase or return must be a gift.

They're not really free though. When I signed up with TalkTalk I had to pay a 'one-off connection fee'. I think it was £30 and I had to make the connection myself.

They're not really free though. When I signed up with TalkTalk I had to pay a 'one-off connection fee'. I think it was £30 and I had to make the connection myself.

When I signed up to Sky, as a new customer, I already had a dish, but had to pay either £160 for a box and set up, or take out the HD pack for £10 a month and get free set up.

I took the special offer of free set up and paid for the HD pack, as after 12 months I could have cancelled it, and it was cheaper than the box and set up charge. However, silly me, I did forget to cancel it immediately after 12 months :blush: Think I paid it for 18 months

:help: i was wondering if anyone had the same problem i been signed up with sky 3 years now and been a loyal cutomer they gave me a sagem router and for some reason its not picking wireless up rang them and they wanna charge me 37 pound for another dont think its really fair

That's typical. We had Sky+ (TV only, not internet) for several years and occasionally needed to have a technician re-adjust the dish after high winds or fix problems with the Sky+ box. Every time, it was going to be £65 or so for a call-out, but when I said I'd cancel, they waived the fee.

...until the last time when the box was completely screwed, and Sky refused to waive the charges. We decided to cancel and switch TV to Virgin Media. At least the monthly charge includes maintenance of the equipment.

If you decide to switch to VM, say "Holy crap, £50 for installation!" when you're on the phone --- the customer service person may offer a discount on it.

---------- Post added 18-03-2013 at 21:10 ----------

I'm not asking them to work for free. I'm asking them to provide me with a piece of kit that costs half of what I pay them every month to enable me to use their services fully, and if I had gone to another supplier then the new supplier would have done just that.

Another point is that they provide the box and try to tell you that after a year it's entirely your problem --- and they give your contact details to some sleazy appliance insurance companies. Never mind the Sale of Goods Act!

That's typical. We had Sky+ (TV only, not internet) for several years and occasionally needed to have a technician re-adjust the dish after high winds or fix problems with the Sky+ box. Every time, it was going to be £65 or so for a call-out, but when I said I'd cancel, they waived the fee.

...until the last time when the box was completely screwed, and Sky refused to waive the charges. We decided to cancel and switch TV to Virgin Media. At least the monthly charge includes maintenance of the equipment.

If you decide to switch to VM, say "Holy crap, £50 for installation!" when you're on the phone --- the customer service person may offer a discount on it.

---------- Post added 18-03-2013 at 21:10 ----------

Another point is that they provide the box and try to tell you that after a year it's entirely your problem --- and they give your contact details to some sleazy appliance insurance companies. Never mind the Sale of Goods Act!

So that is why I have received a letter from them saying their equipment is no longer covered and trying to get me to insure for £99.

:help: i was wondering if anyone had the same problem i been signed up with sky 3 years now and been a loyal cutomer they gave me a sagem router and for some reason its not picking wireless up rang them and they wanna charge me 37 pound for another dont think its really fair

You are loyal ,a characteristic which Sky will exploit to their advantage.Join another provider,or better still manage without these extraneous items and lead a relaxed life.Try reading or writing poetry.

---------- Post added 19-03-2013 at 07:57 ----------

I am a loyal customer and I have paid their full asking price for the services that I receive for over 15 years. I paid for each of my Sky boxes and I submitted to a contract several times with changes of service that tied me into their services for a minimum of 12-18 months at a time. They have made plenty of profit from my custom with them.

In what way is that asking them to work for nothing? They make plenty of profit from me.

It is no wonder Richard Murdoch likes British people.He has a captive market of 40 million households with limited interests outside TV.

'Silly' is free.

Anytime you want to sue a country (or a company) about anything to do with 'elecktrickery' get your volte, amperes ducks and other magickery in a line.

Let your best Ant Odes and your most Magicke Cat-toads to stand in line.

It might be spectacular ... but when we come home, everything will be as normal

I always find it amazing how many people want stuff for free.

I'm gong to ask the next contractor i hire to provide everything he needs free and just pay his labour,he'll surely have got his router off Sky or Virign for free so why shouldn't he give me stuff for free.

You pay for the provision of a service - read your contracts it doesn't say they have to provide the equipment to use it ,they do it to make you think you've got something for nothing.

You never know if we all stopped getting free stuff they might make it cheaper,it's amazing how people accept those ideas when it involves car insurance.

I've got a satnav with a busted power cable Tom Tom don't provide a free one,even though i subscribe to their updateable services.

If you don't want to pay for stuff don't use it.

Someone also mentioned sale of goods act - IF they provide it free is it a "sale".

Archived