Tv shops in the 60s and 70s

My old fellow got our first telly from Hewitts at the top of Bramall Lane circa 1954. A 12" Ferguson, I think it cost something like 38 guineas. I can still picture Mr Hewitt in his brown smock, he moved the shop to Ecclesall Road. I think it might be still there as the Sony Centre.

I think that 38 guineas was a little on the low side---my old fellow bought a 14ins Echo from Cole Bros for 99 guineas--not bad when his take home pay was £7 about 1953

You might well be right. I'll ask him - there's just a chance he'll remember!

Edit. I asked him and he said £40 so I was only two bob out.

Edited by Jim Hardie

My parents got their first TV from Wigfalls in Fitzalan Square - pokey little thing with a

B+W 12 inch screen. Cabinet in an highly polished walnut.......just had two knobs on it:

one to turn it on and for the volume - one to turn over the channels.

Use to think it was a marvellous thing TV in those days and would stay up watching it until the stations closed down at midnight.

My parents got their first TV from Wigfalls in Fitzalan Square - pokey little thing with a

B+W 12 inch screen. Cabinet in an highly polished walnut.......just had two knobs on it:

one to turn it on and for the volume - one to turn over the channels.

Use to think it was a marvellous thing TV in those days and would stay up watching it until the stations closed down at midnight.

After the National Anthem!

Our 1st TV was a Murphy, not sure where we got it from as we had it before Coronation in 1953 and I was only 2 then. It had pop up flap on top at the back and two knobs - one for tuning and one for volume. We still had it in perfect working order intil 625 lines replaced 405 lines when colour came in

Edited by denlin

Our 1st TV was a Murpky, not sure where we got it from as we had it before Coronation in 1953 and I was only 2 then. It had pop up flap on top at the back and two knobs - one for tuning and one for volume. We still had it in perfect working order intil 625 lines replaced 405 lines when colour came in

By gum have you still got it or stored some where it would sell for a fortune.:hihi:

I worked there for a couple of years in the mid 60's, at the same time he opened the shop on Ecclesall Rd. When the property on Alderson Rd. was demolished, he opened a small place on London Rd. just above the Locarno. When I knew I was leaving to go elsewhere, I gave him a month's notice thinking I was being fair to him, and giving him lots of time to find a replacement. He immediately laid me off. Nice guy.

My old fellow got our first telly from Hewitts at the top of Bramall Lane circa 1954. A 12" Ferguson, I think it cost something like 38 guineas. I can still picture Mr Hewitt in his brown smock, he moved the shop to Ecclesall Road. I think it might be still there as the Sony Centre.