Tv shops in the 60s and 70s

My parents bought our first television from W.H.Curtis in around 1954. It was a dark foggy afternoon when his men fitted the aerial, we then had to wait for Mr. Curtis to deliver the Ferguson television. We where allowed to stay up to watch Arthur Askey making pastry. The next day we went to the shop in London Road to pay for it. I seem to remember Dad writing out a cheque for £70 which would have included all setting up costs.

I remember Mr. Curtis having a workshop and yard in Benty Lane at Crosspool.

My parents bought our first television from W.H.Curtis in around 1954. It was a dark foggy afternoon when his men fitted the aerial, we then had to wait for Mr. Curtis to deliver the Ferguson television. We where allowed to stay up to watch Arthur Askey making pastry. The next day we went to the shop in London Road to pay for it. I seem to remember Dad writing out a cheque for £70 which would have included all setting up costs.

I remember Mr. Curtis having a workshop and yard in Benty Lane at Crosspool.

£70 in 1954 is the equivalent of £1674.70 today.

This is Money UK Inflation Calculator.

My dad bought a 12" screen Ferguson about the same time. I think it cost 38 guineas.

Edited by Jim Hardie

• 1 year later...
My old fellow got our first telly from Hewitts at the top of Bramall Lane circa 1954. A 12" Ferguson, I think it cost something like 38 guineas. I can still picture Mr Hewitt in his brown smock, he moved the shop to Ecclesall Road. I think it might be still there as the Sony Centre.

'1954' Just missed the Coronation and the 'Stanley Matthews' cup final then ?

Got my first tele in the one that was just for me and kept in my bedroom from the Co oP it was a colour tele and cost me a £1 a week to rent. Had a tuning wheel to change channels. But it meant the freedom to watch what I wanted.

Edited by darra