Manor the good old days

daggee

Went in Steel Inn in the early sixties....very interesting and a lot of fun!! We then went "upscale" to the Merry Monk down in the Center, even more of a laugh as they had the "Turns" on. Full of little Hitler's telling you where you could stand or sit etc!! Great memories. Both rough places, but frontier justice prevailed, and you were looked after if you were a local young 'un (in our case 15 or 16 yrs old) in there, and were not too cheeky! Before that St Swithins and St Aidans where there was plenty of aggro' especially St Swithins lol

was that wi mick rooker and kieth broughton etc

---------- Post added 18-03-2013 at 19:32 ----------

ha answerd mi question dint see other message.good race for that 92 when ya could see it coming along harbro avenue lol

I think Keith was Micks best man...

Best blade wedding ever .... Bassett,Vinnie,Bob Booker and all the lads in church,the vicar was the club chaplain,Ernest Hukin,after the ceremony he came outside the church and ripped open the velcro on his cassock to reveal a referees kit,he showed Mick a red card and Harry and Books chucked him in an old wheelbarrow and run him round the church yard.

Diane,his bride,looked bewildered poor lass:hihi::hihi:

Like i said...happy days.

Best blade wedding ever .... Bassett,Vinnie,Bob Booker and all the lads in church,the vicar was the club chaplain,Ernest Hukin,after the ceremony he came outside the church and ripped open the velcro on his cassock to reveal a referees kit,he showed Mick a red card and Harry and Books chucked him in an old wheelbarrow and run him round the church yard.

Went to germany for world cup with keith b,paul b and wildy in my motorhome,we had a great time apart from pauls navigation skills and grasp of the german language:hihi::hihi:

top days all toplads..:hihi:

---------- Post added 18-03-2013 at 20:30 ----------

Went in Steel Inn in the early sixties....very interesting and a lot of fun!! We then went "upscale" to the Merry Monk down in the Center, even more of a laugh as they had the "Turns" on. Full of little Hitler's telling you where you could stand or sit etc!! Great memories. Both rough places, but frontier justice prevailed, and you were looked after if you were a local young 'un (in our case 15 or 16 yrs old) in there, and were not too cheeky! Before that St Swithins and St Aidans where there was plenty of aggro' especially St Swithins lol

lol played football for st swinthins on fairleigh as a youth.wi pat o brien ,john feeney.etc.:hihi:

---------- Post added 18-03-2013 at 20:32 ----------

The thing i love about the steel lads is,whenever there is an occasion such as a birthday,you can guarantee everyone will turn up,even if we haven't been in touch for a while,and once we are together,it's just like the 80's again(including the bad hair,bad clothes etc.):hihi::hihi:

ps Is daggee your nickname and if it is are your initials DD

yes darryl dagnall.:o

top days all toplads..:hihi:

---------- Post added 18-03-2013 at 20:30 ----------

lol played football for st swinthins on fairleigh as a youth.wi pat o brien ,john feeney.etc.:hihi:

---------- Post added 18-03-2013 at 20:32 ----------

yes darryl dagnall.:o

hi darryl,do you still like your dancing:D

"PROPER" Manor lads eh?:thumbsup::thumbsup:

My nephews Mick and Steve Rooker were long time drinkers at the Steel.

John the landlord who later took on the Jordanthorpe was a ex bus driver, and when my youngest lad got married he hired us a bus and drove the guests from the church to the reception.

Happy days..............

John and Yvonne moved to Beighton and John went back on the buses for a while before taking the Beighton Miners welfare club, he then retired and him and Yvonne use the Sothall club a lot, John has the biggest hands I have ever seen and can carry four pints back from the bar by just spreading his hand over the top of them.

While the landlord he repaired more cars than he pulled pints as he was a good mechanic.

Archived