Manor the good old days

daggee

paul taylor,i remember you nigel .:hihi:

Hi Daryl,hows it going,i wish we still had some where like the steel to meet up,nowadays it's usually the sherwood we meet up in because so many from the manor now live round there:roll:

still see a lot of the manor lads at the blades matches,yes we still go,still suckers for punishment:hihi:

Went in Steel Inn in the early sixties....very interesting and a lot of fun!! We then went "upscale" to the Merry Monk down in the Center, even more of a laugh as they had the "Turns" on. Full of little Hitler's telling you where you could stand or sit etc!! Great memories. Both rough places, but frontier justice prevailed, and you were looked after if you were a local young 'un (in our case 15 or 16 yrs old) in there, and were not too cheeky! Before that St Swithins and St Aidans where there was plenty of aggro' especially St Swithins lol

My pal Freddie Sanderson got knocked of his motor bike one Friday night in the early sixties outside St Aidans, the car driver must still be running.

Hey GC been thinking of saying "Hello" for a while now! We hung around for a short while when we were both about 16. I was apprentice with the YEB working on the Park Hill flats. Can't remember how we met...... but we were both cheeky little buggers at that age, and loved the girls. We might have met at St S's or just by hanging out around the Manor Top... maybe the snooker hall.

I lived down on Hartopp Rd just off East Bank Rd and you were up by the Common. My mother remarried a fella' called Gordon Humphries who lived next door to you, when I was about 16.

One night we were up to the usual game at the Locarno fancying ourselves with the girls, and some guy about 20 or 21 told us he was gonna chin both of us outside... (we probably deserved it) lol Anyways just in time one of your "brickie" pals or maybe hod carrier came along and saved the day, told him to pick on somebody his own size...we were both about 9 stone nothing lol. He buggered off that night but would give us the "Liston glare" everytime we went back there!

Sounds like life has been good to you which isnice to hear. If you remember me and want to touch base please PM me...I think you have enough posts to allow it !!lol lol Cheers! Roy

Hey GC been thinking of saying "Hello" for a while now! We hung around for a short while when we were both about 16. I was apprentice with the YEB working on the Park Hill flats. Can't remember how we met...... but we were both cheeky little buggers at that age, and loved the girls. We might have met at St S's or just by hanging out around the Manor Top... maybe the snooker hall.

I lived down on Hartopp Rd just off East Bank Rd and you were up by the Common. My mother remarried a fella' called Gordon Humphries who lived next door to you, when I was about 16.

One night we were up to the usual game at the Locarno fancying ourselves with the girls, and some guy about 20 or 21 told us he was gonna chin both of us outside... (we probably deserved it) lol Anyways just in time one of your "brickie" pals or maybe hod carrier came along and saved the day, told him to pick on somebody his own size...we were both about 9 stone nothing lol. He buggered off that night but would give us the "Liston glare" everytime we went back there!

Sounds like life has been good to you which isnice to hear. If you remember me and want to touch base please PM me...I think you have enough posts to allow it !!lol lol Cheers! Roy

Roy I can't get my breath!

Your post is like a breath of fresh air in the owd mans hut.[Manor Top].

The Humphies next door to us they left in about 1960 if I remember right Mrs Humpfries was our chief sugar borrower we were all skint as a fart.

The Lacarno was a dangerous place for us as we had the patter with the ladies as you say, but the Neandethtrills used to get upset if [when ]we pulled so to speak.

The mate who looked after us at that time may have been big Reg Williams

who lived somewhere near you ,he always kept an eye on his little pals.

Life has been a roller coaster of ups and downs for me but cannot grumble, as long as you are healthy whats it matter.

Any way I have been away for a year from the Forum but am now back in training so I will P.M. you later on

The steel inn used to have a thriving social life with pool teams,darts teams and a footy team.I think this kind of local boozer is now becoming a thing of the past.A shame really because all generations of the community used to meet in the steel,it was where you found out everything that was going on locally(no internet or mobiles then).

Archived