Car sellers beware

I put an ad for my car on Autotrader. very quickly I got several responses. The most attractive one claimed to be a married pregnant lady who lives in Jersey. She told me she wanted my car and she would pay my full asking price £6,500. Wow this sounds too good to be true I thought. She went on to say that because she had to get the car to Jersey she would send a man to fetch it. She was going to send me £9,700. £6,500 for my car, £3000 for me to give to her man so he could pay for shipping and taxes, and £200 extra for me for my trouble, because she wanted me to send the cash to this man by Western Union.

Hmmm. I offered to accept a direct deposit into my account, but she wanted to pay by Bankers Draft. Well the draft arrived in the mail, only it was a cheque drawn on a bank in Guernsy.. Hmmmm Ok so I deposited it into my account on Friday, then feeling a bit suspicious I went to the bank Monday morning, Today. The bank had the cheque. They told me it was a fake, a rather poor fake. If they had cleared the check I would be out £9.700 because if they had found it to be fake after it cleared they said I would be lible.

The moral is ONLY ACCEPT CASH OR DIRECT DEPOSIT FOR PAYMENT.

I hope this helps someone.

Bytchy.

I put an ad for my car on Autotrader. very quickly I got several responses. The most attractive one claimed to be a married pregnant lady who lives in Jersey. She told me she wanted my car and she would pay my full asking price £6,500. Wow this sounds too good to be true I thought. She went on to say that because she had to get the car to Jersey she would send a man to fetch it. She was going to send me £9,700. £6,500 for my car, £3000 for me to give to her man so he could pay for shipping and taxes, and £200 extra for me for my trouble, because she wanted me to send the cash to this man by Western Union.

Hmmm. I offered to accept a direct deposit into my account, but she wanted to pay by Bankers Draft. Well the draft arrived in the mail, only it was a cheque drawn on a bank in Guernsy.. Hmmmm Ok so I deposited it into my account on Friday, then feeling a bit suspicious I went to the bank Monday morning, Today. The bank had the cheque. They told me it was a fake, a rather poor fake. If they had cleared the check I would be out £9.700 because if they had found it to be fake after it cleared they said I would be lible.

The moral is ONLY ACCEPT CASH OR DIRECT DEPOSIT FOR PAYMENT.

I hope this helps someone.

Bytchy.

So when is the guy coming to collect the car and the £3000? You should ask the police if they'd care to nab him.

Edit. I see, you had to send him the £3000 first.

So when is the guy coming to collect the car and the £3000? You should ask the police if they'd care to nab him.

Edit. I see, you had to send him the £3000 first.

Good point.. I did call the police today just in case they were interested...we will see, but I don't think they will do anything. I am thinking of telling the scammer that their cheque has cleared, but someone else bought the car for cash so now I will return the money to their account, or do they have another account they would like to use. :-)

Good point.. I did call the police today just in case they were interested...we will see, but I don't think they will do anything. I am thinking of telling the scammer that their cheque has cleared, but someone else bought the car for cash so now I will return the money to their account, or do they have another account they would like to use. :-)

That won't work seen as they obviously know the cheque wasn't going to clear in the first place :suspect:

This scam is as old as the hills.

The mere mention of 'Western Union' should make you run a mile, if the fact the person was going to 'send someone to collect' didn't.

Where were you guys when I needed advice. You are all so worldly and I am obviously just an innocent.

:confused:

---------- Post added 18-03-2013 at 23:08 ----------

That won't work seen as they obviously know the cheque wasn't going to clear in the first place :suspect:

Unfortunately sometimes the cheque does clear. It is only weeks later that the bank decides that it is a fraud and comes to you for the dosh.

Archived