What percentage of your invitees accepted?

We are just starting the planning of our civil partnership and trying to get a feel for guest numbers, so was wondering what percentage of invitees might come?

I know there's no scientific answer to this and it depends on quite a few factors but from all you already-married's experience, how many accepted?

The issue is that our venue has two rooms, one for 80 max and one for 120 max. We have approx 115 on the guest list but the smaller room has more dates available, so don't want to book the big one if the smaller one will do.

Thanks very much

Most accepted in my case, prob less than 10% couldn't come. I think it depends on lots of things. Who you invite for one - close friends and family are more likely to make the effort to take time off to come. Acquaintances/work colleagues might not. Distance guests have to travel, if they are coming from out of town they might decide it's too far away.

Chances are some people will not bother to RSVP, even when you chase them up for an answer they still won't commit either way. You end up having to assume they won't come - but some will, they seem to think it doesn't matter whether they tell you or not their coming. But when you are paying for a sit down meal then it's gonna get a bit awkward when there no where for them to sit and no meal!

We booked ours near a bank holiday at short notice so some people had booked their holiday. The few that didn't respond by the date we gave them got a phone call to check they were coming. We didn't give them long to decide as their place was to be offered to someone else on the list.

I've never known anyone turn up to a wedding that didn't respond - that would serve them right. That made me laugh Love2print. Have you known this happen?

Didn't happen to me Chez, although I did read on one of the Wedding Forums a long time ago of it happening to someone else and it was for the main reception too. I can't remember what they did though. I can understand people turning up at the evening without sending an RSVP but the day?

One of my husband's cousin refused to RSVP, my Mother-in-Law chased him and he said he might come but wasn't sure. When we didn't get the RSVP two weeks before the wedding we assumed he and his family was not coming - but really was it that difficult to just pop a card in the post (we had send out our own reply cards), or email, or phone, or put a message on facebook, maybe send a pigeon...?

Another one of my husband's cousins made a big thing about how much she wanted to come, really looking forward to it and how she must have an invite. She then decided to book her summer hols so couldn't come. She knew when we were getting married, it's not like she booked them before knowing the date.

We are just starting the planning of our civil partnership and trying to get a feel for guest numbers, so was wondering what percentage of invitees might come?

I know there's no scientific answer to this and it depends on quite a few factors but from all you already-married's experience, how many accepted?

The issue is that our venue has two rooms, one for 80 max and one for 120 max. We have approx 115 on the guest list but the smaller room has more dates available, so don't want to book the big one if the smaller one will do.

Thanks very much

We had a similar sized guest list, about 105 I think, and I believe we had no more than 3 or 4 declines and 1 no show on the day.

Having said that Love2print, some inviatations aren't clear. Before we were married my husbands parents got an invite to a wedding and it wasn't clear who it was for as the names weren't all listed but my name was included. I didn't know the people well so said I would dip out and let the four of them attend. Future hubbys sister didn't want to go anyway so the four of us went. Its a good job we did as we were only allocated four seats at the table not five!

We had a few who replied to say they couldn't attend (single figure % I would think). Then four (two couples) who cried off the evening reception on the day.

Then we had my sister in law, who didn't send a reply and then waited until the week of the wedding to get my brother in law to tell us she wasn't coming and that her kids weren't coming either. Luckily the hotel let us cancel three meals and we allocated the room we had reserved for them to someone else. My brother in law bless him, came on his own. Haven't spoken to her since, lol.

Regarding actual wedding your are in single figures now the evening bit lots and lots of experience shows only 75% of invited guests will attend evening parties

Only once have I had a wedding that more came for the wedding breakfast than the 40 originally booked every events nightmare eek !

More like 70 walked through the door and with a little or should I say alot of juggling we served them all ....never again though

Archived