So, we're all in it together are we?

Some very interesting comments after the article. People are sick to the death of the self-serving bunch. There is absolutely no way, when the lowest paid in the public sector have seen pay freezes year upon year whilst the cost of living is spiralling, that this lot should allow themselves any increases.

I am continually appalled by these antics.

This should be in banner headlines 10 feet tall to make it clear to everyone what a conniving bunch of criminals we have allowed into power over us. And that applies to all parties. There is no excuse.

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

People are sick to the death of the self-serving bunch.

They should vote against their sitting MP, regardless of party politics.

But they won't.

If MPs weren't quite so complacent and secure, they might (might) think a bit more before troughing so openly.

Some very interesting comments after the article. People are sick to the death of the self-serving bunch. There is absolutely no way, when the lowest paid in the public sector have seen pay freezes year upon year whilst the cost of living is spiralling, that this lot should allow themselves any increases.

How much is acceptable for someone who's job requires that they spend much of their time living away from home in London?

If I were doing it for a privately owned company I'd expect to be claiming £600 a week in hotel bills at least. Which is £30k a year before I make a claim for travel or food.

How much is acceptable for someone who's job requires that they spend much of their time living away from home in London?

If I were doing it for a privately owned company I'd expect to be claiming £600 a week in hotel bills at least. Which is £30k a year before I make a claim for travel or food.

When I stay in over for work in London I claim £180ish per night for hotel, plus £35 a day for food, plus 45ppm for mileage or around £80-180 on trains depending on how far in advance it was booked.

So if I spent a week in London that makes £895, that is 45k a year. So depending on how much time they spend in London, £20k seems about right.

We have too many MPs and Lords.

They now try to micro-manage everything which gives them something to do, which is why we have so many petty rules and badly thought out laws. There are also too many to be able to communicate with each other effectively which is why we never seem to have joined up thinking.

Does anybody think the system we have at present is an improvement on the past when we had about 400 MPs?

We also have the EU chipping in and local governments, Assemblies, forums, advisors, consultants etc, not to mention Council executives and administrators and grandees.

It costs a fortune and achieves f.a.

When I stay in over for work in London I claim £180ish per night for hotel, plus £35 a day for food, plus 45ppm for mileage or around £80-180 on trains depending on how far in advance it was booked.

So if I spent a week in London that makes £895, that is 45k a year. So depending on how much time they spend in London, £20k seems about right.

Exactly what I was thinking. £150 was me being tight on the hotel cost.

They could reduce the cost by use conferencing technology; they can surely jeer from anywhere.

They could move parliament to a more cost effective location.

They could build accommodation outside London in which they all stay, with a train running to parliament.

Archived