So, we're all in it together are we?

Move all of parliament, and all the civil service departments that are co-located with it... It has to be somewhere, and that somewhere isn't going to be where all the MPs live. 20k isn't going to be an unreasonable rate no matter where they moved it to, and the cost of actually moving the entire government would probably be in the billions.

An MPs village, interesting idea.

I'm ignoring teleconferencing, it doesn't work for most businesses and I can't imagine it would work very well for parliament.

Move all of parliament, and all the civil service departments that are co-located with it... It has to be somewhere, and that somewhere isn't going to be where all the MPs live. 20k isn't going to be an unreasonable rate no matter where they moved it to, and the cost of actually moving the entire government would probably be in the billions.

Surly the buildings and land they use in London once sold would more than cover the cost.

I'm ignoring teleconferencing, it doesn't work for most businesses and I can't imagine it would work very well for parliament.

I've never used it so will take your word for that. :)

Doubt it, the cost isn't just about physically providing a building to work in.

A large portion of the civil service are based on London, you'd have to pay for them to relocate.

Maybe the civil service could be gradually relocated, distributed across the country, eventually it might be possible to have a parliament without them all being colocated, but I think there are more benefits to them being in the same place than the ability to shout at each other in a single room.

Surly the buildings and land they use in London once sold would more than cover the cost.

I've never used it so will take your word for that. :)

Yes teleconferencing is crap, and that is with 10-15 people on a call. When you have 500 drunk or sleeping 'MPs' it would be chaos.

• 1 month later...

Why do people place so much emphasis on face to face oral communication?

Most intelligent people can read faster than they can listen, and while most cannot type as fast as they can speak, most would benefit from the extra time to think.

A forum format, not too unlike this one could be a near perfect mechanism for parliamentary discussions.

It also avoids the problem of MP's sneaking a bill through when nearly everyone is out of the house (although I understand that is how we abolished the slave trade).

Why do people place so much emphasis on face to face oral communication?.

Because the data transference in 'face to face' communication is not limited to the data transmitted verbally. 'Body language' inter alia

Most intelligent people can read faster than they can listen, and while most cannot type as fast as they can speak, most would benefit from the extra time to think.

What's 'intelligence' got to do with anything? - I have a freakishly high IQ. I'm not 'proud' of it - any more than I am proud of being 176cm tall. - but I can use [or abuse] it as I see fit.

One of the things about 'face to face' commuication in my (somewhat considerable) experience is that it cuts through the crap. If, of course, you're good a t cutting through crap. ;)

A forum format, not too unlike this one could be a near perfect mechanism for parliamentary discussions.

It also avoids the problem of MP's sneaking a bill through when nearly everyone is out of the house (although I understand that is how we abolished the slave trade).

Bolleaux! (which is sort of like Gattocks.)

Do you have any idea how the Parliamentary system works? - Your post was more than a bit silly.

Why do people place so much emphasis on face to face oral communication?

Because the data transference in 'face to face' communication is not limited to the data transmitted verbally. 'Body language' inter alia

Yet science suggests that people can detect lies more easily if they cannot see the speaker.

Most intelligent people can read faster than they can listen...

What's 'intelligence' got to do with anything?

Less intelligent people may well be slow readers.

One of the things about 'face to face' commuication in my (somewhat considerable) experience is that it cuts through the crap.

How so?

Does it do so more effectively than simply recognising a load of crap and not reading it?

Bolleaux! (which is sort of like Gattocks.)

Do you have any idea how the Parliamentary system works? - Your post was more than a bit silly.

Yes, we do have BBC Parliament on the TV here. They bicker like children only less maturely.

Archived