Mural at Bar Abbey

Hi folks,

I just wondered if you could help me? My partner works at Bar Abbey and Snooker Club on Abbeydale Road, in the basement of the old picture house, and we have been wondering who painted the amazing mural on the main wall at the Bar. I have no idea when it was painted, maybe in the 70's perhaps as it depicts various musicians and influential people around that time. Do you have any old photos of 'fun' times you had there perhaps? I would be very grateful for your help! Thanks.

The snooker hall was a ballroom, from the sixties it was a Court school of dancing later to become the Kay Gee bee. The bar there was in an off shot of the ballroom a long thin room with no murals at all. The other part of the downstairswas a billiard hall and then stood empty for years and so has only relatively recently been kitted out as a club.The ballroom had one of the best sprung dance floors in the city and it was a real shame that it was allowed to be ripped out when the snooker club took over.

Thanks for your prompt reply. At present there is the snooker club, and the bar, but at present the old match table room is being renovated and turned into a Sports Bar, it will look amazing once it is finished. Bar Abbey where the mural is, is a great live music venue, with Rock Nights every friday and is available to hire for private functions.

I am just curious about who painted the murals, as I am a beginner mural painter myself!

Thanks again.

Archived