Is it illogical to apply logic to things that are illogical?

As I stated, Logic is a concept, not a rule.

For instance A 'sane' persons logic would be deemed more accurate than an 'insane' persons logic, however if everyone were 'insane' then logically, it wouldn't.

You claim logic is a concept not a rule, yet logical reasoning is governed by a fundamental rule which states that any conclusion which flawed with contradiction must be a flawed conclusion, which would quite obviously present you with the answer- false. If that's not a rule then what is?

yep, like administering medicine to the dead.

So you're comparing administering medicine to the dead with questioning whether it is illogical to apply logic to something illogical? Yet there are highly intelligent people who do apply logic to things that are illogical and their findings are accepted by various groups of other intelligent people. Any ideas on why that is?

I'm sure that things which may seem illogical to us now will one day have a logical conclusion. If things happen (Big Bang for instance), there must be a logical explanation ... just that we haven't found it yet, it's beyond us and we can't get our heads round it.

I guess people found gravity pretty illogical until Mr. Newton used logic to crack it at the end of the seventeenth century. People used to logically think the world was flat which is illogical in itself ... so logic can be flawed.

That's why we logically have to find the answers to illogical things ... it's only illogical until it's understood (in my opinion).

So you're comparing administering medicine to the dead with questioning whether it is illogical to apply logic to something illogical?

It's there, in black and white. It is perhaps a logical device called analogy.

Yet there are highly intelligent people who do apply logic to things that are illogical and their findings are accepted by various groups of other intelligent people. Any ideas on why that is?

If we had any idea to whom and what, specifically, you were referring to, that question might possibly be answerable. As it stands, it's a generalisation about no-one in particular doing nothing in particular, and you're asking us why? Ask the "highly intelligent people" as they are more likely to know!

Where's Leonard Nimmoy (Spock) when you need him most. I'm sure he'd say "It's not logical to question pure logic"...or something like that! :hihi:

But Spock did beat the machine that worked on pure logic by being too logical if my memory serves me correctly, he essentially confused it with logic so that it couldn't cope.

It's there, in black and white. It is perhaps a logical device called analogy.

If we had any idea to whom and what, specifically, you were referring to, that question might possibly be answerable. As it stands, it's a generalisation about no-one in particular doing nothing in particular, and you're asking us why? Ask the "highly intelligent people" as they are more likely to know!

If you'd bothered to read the op you'd know who I was referring to. But as per usual, in your eager attempt to pour scorn on something your impatience is getting the better of you.

EDIT : By the way, why is it that people like you always refer to yourself as "WE" as though I'm the one who's all on my lonesome while you AND EVERYONE ELSE is over there. :D.

It always tickles me that does.

I'm sorry, I didn't recognise the thread from your description…

Still have no idea of who I was referring to?

Well let's offer you a few clues then.

As you may or may not be aware of, I started this thread in relation to another thread about the big bang that I started some months back.

Now I'm sure you already know this but seeing as I've had to break everything else that I've posted into bite size chunks for you, I'll take the liberty of doing so again.

The big bang that I refer to is a scientific theory. In fact, it is 'the' scientific theory that all of the aforementioned "highly intelligent people" are in agreement on.

Still no idea?

Highly intelligent people?..... Scientific theory? Does anything spring to mind? Any specific field of study associated with the "big bang"? No?

I'll tell you what, I'll give you a moment or two to have a good think about it.

Archived