Colliers Row, Park, Sheffield

spook

Hi Spook, recently found some of my wifes family living on Colliers Row in the 1800's, it was off Long Henry Street and there is one photo of it on the picture Sheffield web site. One of the best sources of maps I've found for the Sheffield area are produced by Alan Godfrey Maps which you can buy on line at http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk. The Sheffield 1903 edition shows the area you want.

Spook, - you can see Collier's Row on the 1855 map available at

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

- put Sheffield in the search box and when it comes up click on the 'Enlarged View' button. Collier's row can be seen in the bottom right hand corner of the map running off Duke Street.

Several Briggs listed in the 1852 and 1857 directories, but none at Collier's Row - do you have a forename ?

Can't even see Long Henry street on that map but Colliers Row is plain enough. In the 1857 directory Long Henry street is given as joining Colliers Row.

The 1841 census record is a little unusual. William and Elizabeth aged 20 yrs and two children - one aged 3 and another aged 1. Both parents aged 16 or 17 when their first child was born ??

In the 1841 census, unlike later ones, all ages over 15 were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years. So the '20' year olds could be 24.

Often the enumerators missed or ignored the rule, though :)

Hugh

Thanks for that elenac, I don't suppose by a massive leap of faith your wife's ancestors were called Briggs by any chance were they?

Ken Dodd's Dad's Dogs dead! Hello Spook. MY ANCESTERS WERE CALLED BRIGGS ON MY MOTHERS SIDE AND LIVED ON COLLIERS ROW AROUND 1841 I AM COMPILING A FAMILY TREE. PLEASE CONTACT. ROY.

Archived