Stay-at-home mums should go to work!

Genuine question..what %age of people were homeowners in the 1950s..what is the percentage now?

At the end of the First World War, home ownership was at approximately 28%, with private renting the most common experience for British families. In the 1930s there was a dramatic increase in social housing development, but there was also a significant rise in owner occupation, and by the end of the sixties, around half of all UK households were using a mortgage to purchase their own property. The private owner figure peaked in around 2000, with 70% buying their own house. Today, owner occupation is decreasing, and the rate of decline is accelerating.

These figures are not comforting, especially for young families. The home ownership dream seems to be ever more elusive in Britain today.

At the end of the First World War, home ownership was at approximately 28%, with private renting the most common experience for British families. In the 1930s there was a dramatic increase in social housing development, but there was also a significant rise in owner occupation, and by the end of the sixties, around half of all UK households were using a mortgage to purchase their own property. The private owner figure peaked in around 2000, with 70% buying their own house. Today, owner occupation is decreasing, and the rate of decline is accelerating.

These figures are not comforting, especially for young families. The home ownership dream seems to be ever more elusive in Britain today.

Will you post a link for your info?

I absolutely agree. I have two primary aged kids the youngest just off to school and I am volunteering for two days to try and re-train. Fitting a part time job around this is just becoming a nightmare!! Every part time job is a few hours on every day either mon to fri or seven days... I can't temp because childminders want contracts from you that mean even if your not working that week or day they still want paying. I am restricted by pick up and drop off times. What we need are longer school hours and part time jobs that are on three days of the week and not spread out over the whole week so you have no choice but to do a low paid job that will never get you out of the low paid employment trap.

I absolutely agree. I have two primary aged kids the youngest just off to school and I am volunteering for two days to try and re-train. Fitting a part time job around this is just becoming a nightmare!! Every part time job is a few hours on every day either mon to fri or seven days... I can't temp because childminders want contracts from you that mean even if your not working that week or day they still want paying. I am restricted by pick up and drop off times. What we need are longer school hours and part time jobs that are on three days of the week and not spread out over the whole week so you have no choice but to do a low paid job that will never get you out of the low paid employment trap.

The school hours are quite an obstacle for working parents I agree. Not sure what the perfect solution is as longer hours would possibly be too much for the kids I think. But yes, the issue is that they start before or on par with many people's start time, and home time is well before most people would finish work.

Im lucky as a have a fabulous mum who only lives 5 mins drive away who covers the school run for us on the 3 days I work (I have to leave the house at 7 then don't get back until 5) but without her we'd be looking at expensive child care costs.

Have you thought about working in a school? Some offer term time contracts, which equals about 39 weeks work in a year. Sheffield council always have jobs on offer in schools: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/whats-new/job-vacancies

Select 'schools' then 'support staff' from the drop down. It might just be worth checking. Alternatively, what about evening or weekend work?

Sweden, I think, guarantee free child care for working parents. Would we as country be happy to pony up for that (got to be cheaper than using teachers for child care)

Genuine question..what %age of people were homeowners in the 1950s..what is the percentage now?

35% in 1971, to a peak of 70% in 2007, currently about 65%.

http://www.ifs.org.uk/wps/wp1210.pdf

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17026462

And this is a good read:

the end of the affair: implications of declining home ownership

http://www.smith-institute.org.uk/file/The%20End%20of%20the%20Affair%20-%20implications%20of%20declining%20home%20ownership.pdf

---------- Post added 21-03-2013 at 13:58 ----------

The school hours are quite an obstacle for working parents I agree. Not sure what the perfect solution is as longer hours would possibly be too much for the kids I think. But yes, the issue is that they start before or on par with many people's start time, and home time is well before most people would finish work.

Most schools offer breakfast clubs and after school clubs so they're open from 8am to 5 or 6pm.

good consistent childcare produces healthy well balanced children.

this does not have to be just a parent (why is it always considered the woman's primary role??).

Studies indicate that under the age of two childcare is best provided by a homely setting be that mother, father, family other, nanny, childminder etc. at either the child's or carers home.

Over the age of two children generally benefit most from being in small 'family ' group style nurseries until they reach school age.

I know what you mean, but years ago it was considered the primary role of the woman to stay at home, hardly any went to work, but now times change & women are emancipated.

My studies indicate that our 3 benefited best from having a secure loving home, dad (me) working all hours god sent & mum being at home & running the home, I saw it as my job to provide for them. Now they are grown & we both work, both part time, but we get by.

They can do all the studies under the sun, but kids benefit best from a loving environment & 2 parents, who care for them & love them; & show them that they do.

One parent families on benefit are just, sadly, a thing that happen sometimes through no one's particular fault. I don't agree with them just "knocking" kids out and expecting the state to pay for them, but it's not just English that do this many, many thousands have come over here for our great "benefit" lifestyle.

Perhaps if we had say Australia's mantra that you cannot claim anything for 3 years minimum, & have a job & income guaranteed, it might just stop some of them parking their lazy arses in our once great country.

35% in 1971, to a peak of 70% in 2007, currently about 65%.

http://www.ifs.org.uk/wps/wp1210.pdf

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17026462

And this is a good read:

the end of the affair: implications of declining home ownership

http://www.smith-institute.org.uk/file/The%20End%20of%20the%20Affair%20-%20implications%20of%20declining%20home%20ownership.pdf

---------- Post added 21-03-2013 at 13:58 ----------

Most schools offer breakfast clubs and after school clubs so they're open from 8am to 5 or 6pm.

So according to Staunton it was 28% after WW1 and only reached 35% by 1971? The point I was trying to make (badly) was that Staunton was referring to a time that didn't really exist (large owner occupier %age) and comparing today to it..ther is still 2 or 3 times the number of owner occupiers to what there was in the good old fifties..if home ownership is a measure of success then we are in successful times..maybe not as much as 5 or 10 years ago but nevertheless compared to the fifties it's not bad..

Archived