Personal space invasion .. are there rules?

It is actually a serious question! It really got on my wick and had to ask if there was some kind of etiquette whilst queueing at a bus stop on here. There's already been at least one serious reply (although we're on page 2 now) from Mr. M which I found interesting.

I just think that when I write anything on here, people automatically think I'm joking ... not the case at all. I find the space invading subject quite fascinating.

I think it down to the British queing mentality - can't let anybody jump in !- and some take it to Olympic levels. I've been in a post office before and the person behind has been practically close enough to lick the stamp for me.

I think it down to the British queing mentality - can't let anybody jump in !- and some take it to Olympic levels. I've been in a post office before and the person behind has been practically close enough to lick the stamp for me.

I think these people must be closely related to the ones that suddenly change course and walk into you from the opposite direction when you're walking along the pavement in a perfectly straight line.

I think my ploy in the very short queue, would have been to face him directly, give him a 'knowing' smile and a crafty wink, and then attempt to hold his hand. I somehow think your personal space would have suddenly been restored.

Mind you, that ploy could have unexpected dire consequences.

Incidentally, for those needing the measurements in 'old money' One inch is equal to 25.4mm

Ok ... so I'm stood at Hillsborough bus station today, waiting for the number 52 to transport me back to 'area 51 and a half'.

I'm stood slightly to the left of the centre of the covered bus stop to maximize protection from the elements.

All of a sudden this doddery old bloke pulling a shopping trolley (not relevant really) and (I guess) his Mrs turn up.

He stands right next to me ... literally virtually touching! I guess about 20mm away ... his wife stands next to him and they appear to be having some kind of contretemps.

I felt unnerved about this as the bus stop is 6 metres long (estimate ... 6x1m segments bolted together, hardly rocket science). I felt my comfort zone was being compromised.

I sidestepped by about 300mm to regain my free space ... Sardine man (as I'd just decided to call him) followed! 20mm away! I panicked and moved right to the left of the bus stop, exposing myself to everything the cruel elements could throw at me (the bus stop is open ended). There were still only three of us in the entire 6m long bus stop.

Sardine man followed again! Still virtually touching shoulders (he had a hacking cough too, whilst not arguing with his other half). I would've had a word with him, but thought better of it due to (apart from pulling a tartan trolley bag thing on wheels) him looking like one of those old hard guys that'd stab you in the eyes if you upset him. Probably ex-gangster I reasoned.

It was a full five minutes we stood like this until I was saved by the timely arrival of the 52!

Here's a detailed drawing of what really happened, using time-lapse photography.

Are there rules about how much personal space you should allow someone else in cases such as this? Does it worry you? Personally, in a situation such as this, I'd give at least 600mm ... maybe even 1m.

Your comments please ...

You've got too much time on your hands :|

They must be from the same tribe as those in the supermarket who nudge you with their trolley while you are still unloading yours! I particularly dislike the person who gets so close they could key in my card details when I'm paying. :suspect:

I think my ploy in the very short queue, would have been to face him directly, give him a 'knowing' smile and a crafty wink, and then attempt to hold his hand. I somehow think your personal space would have suddenly been restored.

Mind you, that ploy could have unexpected dire consequences.

Incidentally, for those needing the measurements in 'old money' One inch is equal to 25.4mm

Yeah, I was thinking that too. Really could back-fire big time though.

Hmmm...I decided to google it, and found this somewhat bizarre quote on a website....yes it's American, but hey-ho.

General Rules of Personal Space:

Never touch anyone you don’t know.

Don’t reach for anyone’s children, regardless of your intentions.

Stand at least 4 feet away from a person unless you know him or her well.

When someone leans away from you, you are probably in that person’s space that makes him or her uncomfortable.

If you walk into an auditorium or theater that isn’t crowded, leave an extra seat between you and the next person. However, it is acceptable to sit next to someone if the room is crowded.

Never lean over someone else’s shoulder to read something unless invited.

Never go through anyone else’s personal belongings.

Don’t allow your dog to go to the bathroom on someone else’s property.

Acknowledge personal space on the road. Don’t tailgate when driving.

Don’t fling your arm around someone’s shoulder or slap anyone on the back unless you know the person very well.

Don’t enter a room or office without knocking first.

Don’t cut in front of people in line.

Stand at least 4 feet away from someone you don't know????...4 feet for god's sake! How do they arrive at that measurement?

There's also 'other' oddball stuff in the list, and it seems a bit bizarre to me.

Oh, here's the link to the website it came from: http://etiquette.about.com/od/Manners/a/Etiquette-Rules-What-Is-Personal-Space.htm

Ok ... so I'm stood at Hillsborough bus station today, waiting for the number 52 to transport me back to 'area 51 and a half'.

I'm stood slightly to the left of the centre of the covered bus stop to maximize protection from the elements.

All of a sudden this doddery old bloke pulling a shopping trolley (not relevant really) and (I guess) his Mrs turn up.

He stands right next to me ... literally virtually touching! I guess about 20mm away ... his wife stands next to him and they appear to be having some kind of contretemps.

I felt unnerved about this as the bus stop is 6 metres long (estimate ... 6x1m segments bolted together, hardly rocket science). I felt my comfort zone was being compromised.

I sidestepped by about 300mm to regain my free space ... Sardine man (as I'd just decided to call him) followed! 20mm away! I panicked and moved right to the left of the bus stop, exposing myself to everything the cruel elements could throw at me (the bus stop is open ended). There were still only three of us in the entire 6m long bus stop.

Sardine man followed again! Still virtually touching shoulders (he had a hacking cough too, whilst not arguing with his other half). I would've had a word with him, but thought better of it due to (apart from pulling a tartan trolley bag thing on wheels) him looking like one of those old hard guys that'd stab you in the eyes if you upset him. Probably ex-gangster I reasoned.

It was a full five minutes we stood like this until I was saved by the timely arrival of the 52!

Here's a detailed drawing of what really happened, using time-lapse photography.

Are there rules about how much personal space you should allow someone else in cases such as this? Does it worry you? Personally, in a situation such as this, I'd give at least 600mm ... maybe even 1m.

Your comments please ...

please please please submit this for the turner prize. You could call it:

"a comment on modern society"

you will make millions.

also I love it when people come up with things like "sardine man". I do this all the time with my fellow commuters:hihi:

My method of evasion for our cafe is to stand sideways with my weight on my leading foot (in the queue-the students seem to think they will be served faster if they climb on your back) with my trailing foot about a metre behind. Then they are just standing on my foot-literally! rather than breathing down my neck:gag: I look a complete fool I am sure but at least I get my space back. Its also fun to watch their confusion.

---------- Post added 21-03-2013 at 09:27 ----------

:gag:In the post office queue your personal space multiplies because so many of the people in it reek.

Archived