Remember W.E Franklins

I was trying to remember who worked there but can only remember Trevor. He worked downstairs on the beating machine. The ladies worked upstairs in the sewing dept.

No that was Jack on the beating machine in my time (75-77), Trevor was the gaffer upstairs in the drying room. I remember Jack's mum rung up one day as he'd come home late from work, this was a bloke in his 40's or older.

I remember Earnest who worked in the same room as the beating machine, Bill Dyson one of the drivers, Tony another one, & Mick Twibell.

There was Geoff who worked the big carpet washing machine downstairs, and Percy Critchley (screaming lord Critch we called him)

We used to go over road at dinner into a little room for lunch and played cards, Mick & Trevor were the real gamblers, and I mean gamblers.

I remember Mrs London the blind lady who worked the switchboard, she was amazing.

At the end of the beating machine there was a conveyor that the carpets were sent up to the drying room on, remember some of the lads, Steve (gonk), Big John, Mick, we used to go in the Lansdowne bottom of London Road every Friday night.

Edited by Bypassblade

• 3 weeks later...

The foreman carpet fitter for Franklins was called Willy - can't recall his surname though. He was from Ireland originally but lived in Sheffield for years,only a little feller but a real character,and lived near me in Gleadless int 70s and 80s. Had some good laughs with him int Red Lion at Townend.:hihi:

Chris

The foreman carpet fitter for Franklins was called Willy - can't recall his surname though. He was from Ireland originally but lived in Sheffield for years,only a little feller but a real character,and lived near me in Gleadless int 70s and 80s. Had some good laughs with him int Red Lion at Townend.:hihi:

Chris

That must have been a nickname as I knew him as Pat McKeown little Irishman, and he word a battered tweedy sort of jacket, and was a regular at Bramall Lane. Chris did you work there as a fitter, I remember 2 about my age or bit older one has his hair always combed back, and the other had long black hair.

The Chris I knew also drove a little white van IMS.

That must have been a nickname as I knew him as Pat McKeown little Irishman, and he word a battered tweedy sort of jacket, and was a regular at Bramall Lane. Chris did you work there as a fitter, I remember 2 about my age or bit older one has his hair always combed back, and the other had long black hair.

The Chris I knew also drove a little white van IMS.

Hi Bypassblade.

It's the same little Irish feller - Willy/Pat McKeown.I don't know why he was nick-named Willy.Same battered jacket and eventually suffered with bad knees after banging carpets about.Last time I saw him was in the mid-nineties when he called in the Bulls Head Ranmoor for a quick 'un. His wife was called Flo and he had two sons although their names escape me. And I do remember him calling the Franklins "Mr" as well.Also a passionate Unitedite and very critical of them when playing like chuffs.I often wonder what happened to him,I believe he moved to Hollinsend Road after I had moved to Crookes from Gleadless.

No,I didn't work at Franklins,I was a lorry driver and used to sup with Willy int Red Lion Gleadless.

Chris.

Edited by Manxdeedah

I too can remember Pat. It was a really nice place to work. I was sad to leave and couldn`t understand why i was only kept on for 6 months. I remember it was the first place i worked at that had a clocking in machine. I made a right mess of my card. :)

Hi Bypassblade.

It's the same little Irish feller - Willy/Pat McKeown.I don't know why he was nick-named Willy.Same battered jacket and eventually suffered with bad knees after banging carpets about.Last time I saw him was in the mid-nineties when he called in the Bulls Head Ranmoor for a quick 'un. His wife was called Flo and he had two sons although their names escape me. And I do remember him calling the Franklins "Mr" as well.Also a passionate Unitedite and very critical of them when playing like chuffs.I often wonder what happened to him,I believe he moved to Hollinsend Road after I had moved to Crookes from Gleadless.

No,I didn't work at Franklins,I was a lorry driver and used to sup with Willy int Red Lion Gleadless.

Chris.

Yes Chris when I knew him he was still at Gleadless, but as you say one of life's true gentlemen, even when I saw him at the Lane after I left and years later he always shook my hand and gave me a hug. He was one of the best people I have EVER met and I mean that most sincerely

Pete

There's still Franklins Bedside Manor Ltd but it moved and is now on Abbeydale Road.

Address: 457 Abbeydale Rd, Sheffield S7 1FS

Phone:0114 268 6161

I bought a mattress there a bit over a year ago. It was still being run by a member of the Franklin family. Still very good friendly service. It is next door to a Tesco.

• 1 year later...