Dance Tuition ADVICE NEEDED!!

We are a group of three Professional Drag Queens who have decided to set up a Drag Troupe, and among the essentials which we are wanting to spend our precious money on, is some 'Drag Cabaret dance-tuition', and we were thinking of booking a recognised minor drag queen from the cabaret circuit, who is an aquaintance, to teach us Drag Cabaret Dance Technique over the course of one day (4 or 5 hours or so). Originally, he gave a figure of £260 for EACH of us three to spend a day being 'trained' by him, in dancing, wigs and makeup, although after a bit of haggling, we have got the figure down to £120 each, as we are already good enough at wigs and makeup to be able to prepare our own on the day. (The actual location we are holding the session at, BTW, is a room that we have FREE use of close to one of our flats, so the figure quoted WASN'T required to also cover room-hire.) £120 sounds a lot more reasonable, although I have been to plenty of all-day circus workshops, which involve similar training, at an all-in price of around the £60 mark. £120 is only reasonable, however, if the person training us has properly recognised qualifications such as teaching certificates, but to my knowledge, this friend of ours has neither, although has training as a hairdresser; Then there is the issue of Liability, VAT, etc.

1.) Does anyone have any advice as to what is a reasonable figure for Cabaret Dance class fees, and;

2.) Additionally, does anyone have any friends/contacts who may know of affordable Drag Cabaret Dance Training by Registered Teachers, in or close to South Yorkshire (Sheffield, Barnsley, Doncaster, Leeds, etc)?

3.) There is also the (very important in my view) issue of whether or not it is best to split the Dance Classes between several different days (e.g. one hour a week, which will allow for practice and gradual build-up of skills) rather than having, say, six hours or so of tuition squeezed into one day. Any advice on this matter would be most welcome. :love:

I don't know anything about 'drag cabaret', but your tutor-friend wants to charge £72-90* per hour to teach you? That seems quite a lot of money. Do you think his skills are valid for paying that sort of money? You'd be happy paying that?

I'm not a fan of intense learning, I wouldn't recommend it personally. I teach music and my motto is little and often, very often. Don't play for 6 hours in one go - play little and often throughout the day. It'll soon add up to hours and hours when you're doing it regularly. Equally I don't teach intensely, because I'm just watching people practise and not teaching in long lessons.

*(£120 pp x 3 = £360

/ 5 or 4 hours work = £72-90 per hour)

Archived