Anyone been to bulgaria recently?

If it's any help, I was told by a contact who is co-organising a rally through Bulgaria in about 18 months time there is no point doing any research on it until much nearer the time because the country is so politically volatile that if they were to start working on this project now the information they acquired would be out of date in 3-6 months time and totally redundant within 2-3 months of their planned trip.

Whatever you do, don't use Balkan holidays.

We went self catering in an apartment that turned out to be nothing more than a cheap flea ridden hostel. The b******s are now trying to duck out of reimbursing us even a percentage of the money we paid.

It's years since I went but we tried both a beach holiday and a skiing one.

Found it to be very clean (old ladies out sweeping the streets when they should have been at home with their slippers on). The food wasn't good and the poverty not nice to see. They had shops which only tourists could use selling goods which the Bulgarians couldn't afford - this lead to a lot of Black Market money changing so that the locals could get hold of foreign currency.

The country was lovely though.

went to bulgaria - Sunny Beach resort 18 months ago - hoping to go back again this year - loved it. Now is the time to go as it is so cheap but is due to go in EU either next year or year after I think. Thngs will probably change then.

It was VERY VERY cheap - drinks about 40p, cheap meals etc. lovely long promenade, wide sandy beach, loads and loads of shops, bars and restaurants

ENJOY!

My partner and I went to Bulgaria in 2000 to witness the total eclipse of the sun. We went with Balkan Holidays, and found them to be an extremely reliable company.

We stayed at a resort on the Black Sea coast, near Varna. Our hotel was a former Communist Party retreat, so services were top class, including 24 security guards on the car compound (we'd hired a car for our holiday stay).

The country is beautiful. The beaches are immaculate. The sea is warm, and ideal for cooling off in the constant heat. I recommend that you buy The Rough Guide to Bulgaria. We found this to be very accurate, and invaluable for touring in our hire car.

Bulgaria is though a poverty stricken country. As such, prices are incredibly low. We ate at local restaurants each evening, but even when choosing the highest prices dishes for a 3 course meal, plus highest priced bottle of wine or Russian 'champagne', we could not spend above £7 each. Try as we did to spend money, on souvenirs, presents for family, meals out, etc., it

was an impossible task, and we came home with half our spending money.

The temperature in mid-summer was constantly 85-95F. The skies were rarely cloudy. It rained only once. Unfortunately, I lost my passport, and we had to hire a taxi to drive us 500 miles across country to the British embassy to obtain a replacement and an exit visa from the Interior Ministry. We commenced our journey at 3 a.m., and arrived back close to midnight. On our return journey, our taxi driver took us on unscheduled visits to a walled city, a castle, rose fields, a petrified forest, and an ancient spring associated with Bulgarian folklore, and stopped at other interesting sights.

For this memorable 1,000 mile round day-trip of a life-life, he asked for £100 to cover his petrol and charges. We gave him an extra £50, despite his repeated protests that it was too much. When we finally persuaded him to take all the money, he literally broke down in tears, proclaiming that it would pay for his daughter's university education for a whole year!

We loved Bulgaria. Do go and see the country. It is enchanting. I am always reminded of our holiday in this lovely country every time I notice that my passport was issued by the British Embassy in Sofia!

we went to sunny beach 2 years ago - fantastic holiday. our hotel was lovely although the food was a bit ropey - it was sooo cheap to eat out though so we didnt mind too much. if you want real value for money try it before 2007 (they join the EU then).:thumbsup:

I went AOA 2 years ago, we fell lucky and had a lovely hotel. The best place to find info is

http://www.holidays-uncovered.co.uk/

loads of info so you can check it out befoire you book.

I loved it, its a bit brash in the holiday resorts but the countryside is lovely and its dirt cheap. The people are freindly and the food is different! (caters very much for the german / russian market)

petrified forest - is cool too worth a visit

Happy Hols!

I went AOA 2 years ago, we fell lucky and had a lovely hotel. The best place to find info is

http://www.holidays-uncovered.co.uk/

loads of info so you can check it out befoire you book.

I thoroughly recommend the Guardia Hotel at Golden Sands. We've been twice in 10 months and enjoyed it both times. Just turn the TV OFF after midnight if you have kids ;)

Archived