Laying carpet underlay

I have to lay some foam carpet underlay and never having used foam underlay before I am wondering should the thin backing through which the foam can be seen be facing upward or should the thicker backing with the manufacturers name be facing upward. I would appreciate advice from a carpet fitter if possible. I have carpet ordered and waiting for the fitters but have bought the underlay elsewhere.

if its a rubber underlay with a waffle / bubble pattern then the beige hessian type matrial faces up or rubber to the floor

if its whats called a pu underlay then it may have a name printed on it like cosi/softstep/ball and young/ etc then as a rule of thumb same applies wording upwards, coloured side to the floor

the problem i think you will have is fitting it correctly so the carpet dosent end up with lines in it

underlay generally is stapled to the floor and many fitters still like to tape the joints where the underlay joints meet

some fitters like to lay the underlay opposite to which way the floorboards run

and last but not least

the carpet goes fluffy side up

if its a rubber underlay with a waffle / bubble pattern then the beige hessian type matrial faces up or rubber to the floor

if its whats called a pu underlay then it may have a name printed on it like cosi/softstep/ball and young/ etc then as a rule of thumb same applies wording upwards, coloured side to the floor

the problem i think you will have is fitting it correctly so the carpet dosent end up with lines in it

underlay generally is stapled to the floor and many fitters still like to tape the joints where the underlay joints meet

some fitters like to lay the underlay opposite to which way the floorboards run

and last but not least

the carpet goes fluffy side up

haha good sense of humour (with good advice previously).

;)A great reply I have already cut the lengths to run crosswise to the floor boards to avoid creep. I was unsure if I needed to lay this in the same manner as I have laid the waffle type, so thanks for the advice and I will be taping it. I will pack my staple gun tomorrow too. I shall be seeing staples in my sleep, I have just finished pulling them out from the previous carpet. tenant pulled up all the carpet and left in all the staples for me.

Handy hint when ripping your finger open on carpet gripper a good quality tissue and masking tape can make a very servicable dressing.;)

;)A great reply I have already cut the lengths to run crosswise to the floor boards to avoid creep. I was unsure if I needed to lay this in the same manner as I have laid the waffle type, so thanks for the advice and I will be taping it. I will pack my staple gun tomorrow too. I shall be seeing staples in my sleep, I have just finished pulling them out from the previous carpet. tenant pulled up all the carpet and left in all the staples for me.

Handy hint when ripping your finger open on carpet gripper a good quality tissue and masking tape can make a very servicable dressing.;)

I would allow the underlay time to expand/contract before stapling.If it has been stored unheated it wil expand as it warms up,ripping through the staples and leaving the carpet with an undulating surface.

:help:As it happens I could not find my stapler until this morning, I had been using it on a job at home and had forgotten where I had left it in a room not used very much in winter. so the underlay should have had time to acclimatise a bit. As it is taped I intend to just staple at the corners of the room. A bonus to the underlay saga is that I seem to have enough to do the bathroom as well as the sitting room and hall. That is if I can get there! Six inches of the white stuff and counting. any Ideas of how to remove a small piece of gripper that I put down the wrong way round:hihi: cant get the claw hammer under it or (desperately) the cooks knife I used to cut the underlay. I have seen and heard of a nail puller any Ideas where to get one or should I try cutting of the nailheads with wire cutters and then pulling.:help:

:help:As it happens I could not find my stapler until this morning, I had been using it on a job at home and had forgotten where I had left it in a room not used very much in winter. so the underlay should have had time to acclimatise a bit. As it is taped I intend to just staple at the corners of the room. A bonus to the underlay saga is that I seem to have enough to do the bathroom as well as the sitting room and hall. That is if I can get there! Six inches of the white stuff and counting. any Ideas of how to remove a small piece of gripper that I put down the wrong way round:hihi: cant get the claw hammer under it or (desperately) the cooks knife I used to cut the underlay. I have seen and heard of a nail puller any Ideas where to get one or should I try cutting of the nailheads with wire cutters and then pulling.:help:

hammer and chisel

---------- Post added 23-03-2013 at 10:02 ----------

I would allow the underlay time to expand/contract before stapling.If it has been stored unheated it wil expand as it warms up,ripping through the staples and leaving the carpet with an undulating surface.

won`t happen, not worth worrying about.

Happened in my house too right down the centre of a room( and it was so called professionals that laid the stuff). Am considering the hammer and chisel method.

Great knee pads tip use offcuts of underlay to make kneelers and knee pads. FANTASTIC!

Archived