Your Views On Saint George's Day? Will You Celebrate?

You forgot the EDL and other rightwing nutters. Strange to think they support a day in celebration of somebody who wasn't even English, but hey ho.

That's because right ringers are dopes. Really - think about it, all the best peeps in the world are left wing. Apart from Roy 'I have a seat next to Milan' Splatterbys.

As an atheist, I don't celebrate any saints, but I would agree that despite the antiquity from the 14th century, there is nothing intrinsic in the story of St George to link him with England, and nothing to make him a religious representative of the national spirit. There are a number of saints who have a greater claim. St Alban may have been the first Christian martyr in these islands, but that was during the Romano-British period before the Anglo-saxons became the dominant occupiers of the country. I would propose Edmund King and martyr as a fitting character (c.841-869) as having been killed by the invading Danes, and already having a cult as the patron saint of England before the takeover by George. According to the hagiography, he was beheaded but the head was found by a wolf leading people to it. The Victorian roof of the surviving timber Anglo-Saxon church at Greensted in Essex depicts this miracle, made during the restoration of the 1840s.

As an atheist, I don't celebrate any saints, but I would agree that despite the antiquity from the 14th century, there is nothing intrinsic in the story of St George to link him with England, and nothing to make him a religious representative of the national spirit. There are a number of saints who have a greater claim. St Alban may have been the first Christian martyr in these islands, but that was during the Romano-British period before the Anglo-saxons became the dominant occupiers of the country. I would propose Edmund King and martyr as a fitting character (c.841-869) as having been killed by the invading Danes, and already having a cult as the patron saint of England before the takeover by George. According to the hagiography, he was beheaded but the head was found by a wolf leading people to it. The Victorian roof of the surviving timber Anglo-Saxon church at Greensted in Essex depicts this miracle, made during the restoration of the 1840s.

You sound posh.

Archived