Weekly earnings in late 60's.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 years later...
On 23/03/2013 at 09:28, harvey19 said:

Around 1965 I got £3-2-6 as an apprentice engineer at WT Avery and then £6-15-0 as an apprentice bricklayer at Ackroyd and Abbots.

I also remember whilst in the army in Germany in 1970ish single men's wages were increased in line with those of married men.

You would have been there when my dad was - Geoff. He left in about 1968/69 when they refused to pay him grade 5 even tho he was working to it. Put his notice in one Friday and was told on the following Monday it had 'just come thro'. When he didnt withdraw his notice i remember 2 bosses turning up at our house (one of them from Birmingham head office) trying to change his mind .... my mum sent them both packing :)

25 minutes ago, Allusadeedah said:

You would have been there when my dad was - Geoff. He left in about 1968/69 when they refused to pay him grade 5 even tho he was working to it. Put his notice in one Friday and was told on the following Monday it had 'just come thro'. When he didnt withdraw his notice i remember 2 bosses turning up at our house (one of them from Birmingham head office) trying to change his mind .... my mum sent them both packing :)

We could claim 2/6 if we went out on the lorry to help roll the weights onto the weigh bridges that were being tested.

left school at the age of 16 in 1967 and got an apprenticeship with the gas company on commercial st was paid 5 pounds and 50 pence forthe first week. cant remember how much i got back of mum but always p had enough to go out with after a couple of weeks it went up to 7 pounds 50pence as the bloke i worked with always  put us  down for overtime

I started work as an apprentice at Edward Pryor and sons in 1967.  I got three pounds seven shilling and sixpence.

By March 1977 I was earning £78  a week, I was the top paid shopfloor worker but I hated the job.

I was very fed up and I walked out, and got a job as a postman earning £39 pounds a week for five days but £46 if you were delivering and having to work saturday morning.I loved it as a postman being paid to go for a walk and talking to people.Unfortunately it couldn't  last and I transferred and went to work on the counters. I worked for Royal Mail for 33 years and loved every minute of it.