Teachers making medical assumptions about pupils.

In the last couple of months my grandsons teacher has spoken to his mother a few times about his health, she has said she thought he had asthma, was deaf in one ear and the latest one is colour blind, none of these assumptions have been proven to be true but have caused great concern at the time.

I know teachers are first in line to spot problems with children but this one has been so far off the mark that we are begining to look at her as a bit of a scatter brain....

In the last couple of months my grandsons teacher has spoken to his mother a few times about his health, she has said she thought he had asthma, was deaf in one ear and the latest one is colour blind, none of these assumptions have been proven to be true but have caused great concern at the time.

I know teachers are first in line to spot problems with children but this one has been so far off the mark that we are begining to look at her as a bit of a scatter brain....

I think you mean observations not assumptions.~It is nice to have a teacher who cares,as mine actually gave me head- and ear-aches.

Good heavens, with all the workloads and pressures on teachers these days, I'd be impressed if they got my kid's name right, never mind about taking the time to actually notice and speak to me about any genuine concerns they had. Wow. Sounds like you've got a gem of teacher there.

Is she called Miss Quincy ?

Teachers see hundreds if not thousands of children with differing medical problems as part of their day to day work. What would be worse, they take an interest in the health and well-being of their pupils and mention it to the parent or ignore it and let someone else deal with it.

seriously you cannot help some people!

Is the teacher politely trying to get you to have your grandchild checked out by a GP? perhaps because of behaviour issues? ie wont join in PE (asthma?) not doing as told (deafness?), not producing much work (colour blindness?).

Are they well behaved or could the teacher be using "illness" to try and get a conversation going about their behaviors?

Archived