Need help on a bathroom ceiling rose please

Your Ceiling Rose:

What you have in your ceiling rose at the moment is 2 blacks.....these are loop neutrals

( one of them is from another light fitting somewhere else to get power to that fitting )

the two red cables........are switch wires.

The new bathroom fitting will have a blue cable - this is the neutral, so goes into the connection with the two blacks.

The Brown cable - is the live feed and goes into the connection with the two reds.

If your new fitting has a metal body, then it is advisable to securely fit an earth cable

( green ) onto the body of the new fitting and then into the connection on the ceiling rose which is the earth terminal.

Your fitting should then switch on / off ok.

Lol, I have just noticed Scotty's tag ' One life, live it'.

Not for long if he's chuffing around with electrics.

not been funny but not like iam putting my hand on live wires iam turning the power worse thing what happens will trip out not kill me so what are you talking about

---------- Post added 22-03-2013 at 20:18 ----------

Your Ceiling Rose:

What you have in your ceiling rose at the moment is 2 blacks.....these are loop neutrals

( one of them is from another light fitting somewhere else to get power to that fitting )

the two red cables........are switch wires.

The new bathroom fitting will have a blue cable - this is the neutral, so goes into the connection with the two blacks.

The Brown cable - is the live feed and goes into the connection with the two reds.

If your new fitting has a metal body, then it is advisable to securely fit an earth cable

( green ) onto the body of the new fitting and then into the connection on the ceiling rose which is the earth terminal.

Your fitting should then switch on / off ok.

cheers for the help least you not gave silly comments

not been funny but not like iam putting my hand on live wires iam turning the power worse thing what happens will trip out not kill me so what are you talking about

---------- Post added 22-03-2013 at 20:18 ----------

cheers for the help least you not gave silly comments

Flipping heck mate! Calm down.

Did any of the replies cure the problem, or is a sparky needed ?

PM me if you need a sparky.

Spilt the blacks one is a neutral & one is a switch wire but needs to be tested to prove this happy days

Matt

If the guy concerned has a 3plate ceiling rose, then he will have had a length of flexible cable with a cord grip lampholder on the end.

Within the ceiling rose, there will the earth connection, a neutral connection and lastly

the switchwire connection.

The two black cables are both neutral conductors - one being a loop neutral, someone on here suggested splitting these two black cables - in doing so, the op would lose the supply to another light.

Archived