MOT/Pre-servicing questions..

If your car wants servicing have it done before the test. However a sevice only usually covers checking oil etc and changing filters plus checking brakes. It is not a pre-test, there is no such thing as a pre-test. You have your car tested it either passes or fails. If it passes all well and good. If it fails you have option of leaving it there for work to be done and then you won't have to pay for re-test. Or if you still have some MOT left on it you have until it expires to get the work done but you will almost certainly be charged for re-test

Before you take it for an MOT change the oil and all the filters that will go a long way towards eliminating any emission problems,have a good look around it for obvious things that you can do your self and take it in,what ever it fails on you will have to do,if there are any warning lights on the dash board showing it will not pass the MOT,the main thing they seem to be failing older cars on now are ball joint and steering gators,they have just recently added a load of different thing to the new MOTs.

How does changing the oil help the emissions on an old peugeot.
ll

All engines breath through the crank case ventilation especially if it is a diesel they muck the oil very fast the crank case pressure is vented into the induction, if the oil is dirty the fumes will carry more pollutants into the induction.

tx to alchresearch for the great work,

oil change, how much roughly does a garage charge

power steering pressure sensor weeping, again how much?

all have to be done before MOT..

---------- Post added 29-03-2013 at 14:22 ----------

tx everyone, only failed on one item in MOT, some sort of webbing under engine was rotted, all done now, cost a few bob before hand though, new tyres, etc car are definitely a money pit...

• 11 months later...

Ah well, MOT time again, had no problems all year, though lots of minor bumps, clipping by other drivers when parked/ when stationery who do a runner:mad:

I am wondering what basics I need to look at before the MOT again?, I think I need an air filter(is this different than a cabin air filters) oil filter, not sure about oil change, done last march, power steering pressure sensor weeping hasn't been done yet.

tx

take it to miata services next to birly moor garden centre mot £ 35THEY ARE A TOP CLASS HONEST GARAGE family buisness and a garage ive used for years and a lot of my friend ring first or call in for a chatthet will advise you whats best 2511610 ask for michael

Archived