Work experience.

Try applying regardless, offering to work a trial period for a reduced rate or even for free, or state that you are willing to negotiate a lesser wage for the first year, given your lack of experience. Given that everyone is tightening their belts at the moment, the employer may look upon you as better value for money??? It's worth a go. Good luck!

No such thing as working for free from a companies point of view. It's not legally allowed.

No but it happens. Internships, popular in the U.S.A, seem to be getting worryingly more common over here. Seen a few places in London advertising for Interns, which from a personal point of view I don't agree with. You're doing a job for a Company (if it isn't for a good cause i.e. charities) and therefore you should be paid, even if it's not much, at least something.

Had quite a few people apply to our practice with offers of working for free for a number of months desperate, as most graduates now are, for some experience. Unfortunately for them however our Director doesn't believe in Internships either.

I agree with what has been said already, apply for Junior positions, send out some speculative applications (can't hurt) and do some volunteer work if possible which always looks good on a C.V.

Why bother going to university if you want to be a tea boy?

I know somebody who started as 'the tea boy', and through hard work he worked his way up the ladder and now 20 years later, he earns over 40K as a manager.

Do these rules not apply if you are a graduate?

Archived